Emerald AI Integration

My AI solution is now called SoulLink AI and it will be in testing by the end of the year and released sometime in 1st quarter 2022.
Hey Magique, with emerald AI a flaw I had 6 months ago before I took a break was that there is no flinch animation if the AI is moving, so if it's running and gets shot, it has no effect which results in ranged weapons feeling like that have no power, or effect until the AI dies. Emerald responded they didn't have that implemented and that it would be in the future. Well it's been 6 months and I see now there is emerald version 3 now. Can you tell me if they have this now? I've asked through the email to them directly but they never answered. -Seth

Hey Magique, with emerald AI a flaw I had 6 months ago before I took a break was that there is no flinch animation if the AI is moving, so if it's running and gets shot, it has no effect which results in ranged weapons feeling like that have no power, or effect until the AI dies. Emerald responded they didn't have that implemented and that it would be in the future. Well it's been 6 months and I see now there is emerald version 3 now. Can you tell me if they have this now? I've asked through the email to them directly but they never answered. -Seth
I'm sorry, but I don't know. I don't use Emerald AI myself anymore. I only have version 3 so I could help others who still want to use this integration. I think if you ask on their Discord channel maybe someone knows.

For anyone trying to integrate with latest Emerald AI 3.0, the following change is required from the integration instructions:

In the EmeraldAIPlayerDamage.cs file in the DamagaeOpsivePlayer function, change

emeraldAI.ClearTarget();

to

emeraldAIEvents.ClearTarget();
Hey Magique I've been messing around trying to create Enemies with Behaviour Designer and Deathmatch kit, but I may be just out of my league trying to get packaged behaviours beyond running around and shooting. Is Emerald 3.0 still a pretty viable solution?

Will take in to account these updates to integration too.

ALSO, has anyone successfully used this in parallel with Opsive PUN add-on??

I'm just going to try to throw it all in the pan and start cooking, see what mess happens lol.

I'm aware I'm going to need to separately sync transform and animation, as well as handle spawning etc. which I think I've got a handle on all that stuff.

The main issues I foresee are hit detection/raycasting/health/projectiles etc. and all that. SO wondering if anyone has done it, or has suggestions?

Hey Magique I've been messing around trying to create Enemies with Behaviour Designer and Deathmatch kit, but I may be just out of my league trying to get packaged behaviours beyond running around and shooting. Is Emerald 3.0 still a pretty viable solution?

Will take in to account these updates to integration too.
I would prefer Emerald over Behavior Designer. I think Emerald is a decent out of the box solution. I still support my integration and lots of people still use it. However, I'm developing my own solution called SoulLink and don't personally use Emerald anymore.

I would prefer Emerald over Behavior Designer. I think Emerald is a decent out of the box solution. I still support my integration and lots of people still use it. However, I'm developing my own solution called SoulLink and don't personally use Emerald anymore.
Thanks, yes very interesting, I can't wait and need to work on AI right now, and don't have the skill or knowledge to extend BD enough. Will keep an eye on Soul, cheers.

I think the biggest problem so far is that Opsive's animations are all separated into 'Upper/Lower' and so not all the anims work for Emerald, would that be correct? Gotta find me some anim sets.

Thanks, yes very interesting, I can't wait and need to work on AI right now, and don't have the skill or knowledge to extend BD enough. Will keep an eye on Soul, cheers.

I think the biggest problem so far is that Opsive's animations are all separated into 'Upper/Lower' and so not all the anims work for Emerald, would that be correct? Gotta find me some anim sets.
I don't think Opsive animations would work well with emerald. You should probably use Mixamo or Kubold or some of the other animation packages.

Can we use both Raycast AND Projectiles?

What's the go, I'm trying to to nail down what shooting system to use, or what CAN I use. I've been using Raycasts for my Players, which will still hold up fine with the integration to damage enemies. But what about the AI? Struggling to get them to fire Opsive projectiles....

Oh wait, does your integration make the Emerald bullets/raycasts/projectiles damage Opsive players ?

(I made the Emerald 'Ability' fire an Opsive created projectile - is that the wrong way to do it? - it gives an error any way that it can't create a rigidbody as it already exists. So I'm assuming now I need to just let emerald do it's thing with the projectile prefab just being an effect?)

Can we use both Raycast AND Projectiles?

What's the go, I'm trying to to nail down what shooting system to use, or what CAN I use. I've been using Raycasts for my Players, which will still hold up fine with the integration to damage enemies. But what about the AI? Struggling to get them to fire Opsive projectiles....

Oh wait, does your integration make the Emerald bullets/raycasts/projectiles damage Opsive players ?

(I made the Emerald 'Ability' fire an Opsive created projectile - is that the wrong way to do it? - it gives an error any way that it can't create a rigidbody as it already exists. So I'm assuming now I need to just let emerald do it's thing with the projectile prefab just being an effect?)
My integration is so that Opsive players can damage and be damaged by Emerald AI. It does not allow Emerald AI to acquire Opsive features.

@magique or has anyone else solved the Emerald AI bug with Opsive character whereby you can't stop the AI's from only looking at the root transform ie. at your feet on Opsive characters?

Even using the TransformPositionModifier (I think it's called that) makes no difference. THe Gizmo is clearly up around head height, and yet the AI's still shoot at Opsive Characer's feet. So annoying.

fyi having the Transform Modifier on root or a child makes no difference. @Justin don't expect you can help being it's not likely Opsive prob but any ideas?

My integration is so that Opsive players can damage and be damaged by Emerald AI. It does not allow Emerald AI to acquire Opsive features.
all good on this question mate, I figured out that I needed to simply use a projectile effect, not an opsive projectile. Cheers! I'll have to figure out how to network the Emerald projectile later. THanks

@magique or has anyone else solved the Emerald AI bug with Opsive character whereby you can't stop the AI's from only looking at the root transform ie. at your feet on Opsive characters?

Even using the TransformPositionModifier (I think it's called that) makes no difference. THe Gizmo is clearly up around head height, and yet the AI's still shoot at Opsive Characer's feet. So annoying.

fyi having the Transform Modifier on root or a child makes no difference. @Justin don't expect you can help being it's not likely Opsive prob but any ideas?
I am not aware of this problem and don't know if anyone has solved it.

FYI anyone interested I discovered that the Opsive Bridge allows the AI to block Opsive attacks, (EVEN BULLETS LOL)

Personally I've decided to stick with Opsive for the majority of shooter AI. Emerald is not fast-paced enough for gunplay mechanics.

I will however utilise it for perhaps companions/pets, and maybe Robotic enemy droids, and Possibly Boss battles.

Lastly, I might try to utilise the Health and Damage UI, they're pretty cool.

I'm not aware of anything @Justin, but does Opsive currently have an RPG UI display for damage/health at all? If it doesn't I'm guessing it's being developed for Adventure kit perhaps. Would be cool to add as a feature!

Hey, If you place the TargetPositionModifier on the character capsule collider it should work as intended.

Hey, If you place the TargetPositionModifier on the character capsule collider it should work as intended.
Yes I have tried that and many other combinations but doesn't work. At one point I had it work but only when set under a value of 1 (weird).

My project also is Photon multiplayer, I feel that may play some part. Pretty sure at one stage I had it working when NOT running all of the multiplayer code, and then it wouldn't work when multiplayer parts were functioning. There's probably too many things that could interfere atm in my project .

Hence I've moved away from using them for my primary AI, and I'll work on Emerald integration at a later point with different enemy types that requrie less accuracy.

FYI though, I did 'fix' this to some extent in my project, simply by adding an 'OnEnable' function on the Emerald AI that set the modifier of the AI agent to 1.2.

Yes I have tried that and many other combinations but doesn't work. At one point I had it work but only when set under a value of 1 (weird).

My project also is Photon multiplayer, I feel that may play some part. Pretty sure at one stage I had it working when NOT running all of the multiplayer code, and then it wouldn't work when multiplayer parts were functioning. There's probably too many things that could interfere atm in my project .

Hence I've moved away from using them for my primary AI, and I'll work on Emerald integration at a later point with different enemy types that requrie less accuracy.

FYI though, I did 'fix' this to some extent in my project, simply by adding an 'OnEnable' function on the Emerald AI that set the modifier of the AI agent to 1.2.
Hey quick tip, although emerald AI is a great tool for setting up melee and creature AI quickly and painlessly. It is horrible for shooter AI especially ones that use guns. That is with a UCC character or not. I would personally recommend using an asset such as Opsive Behavior Designer for that or waiting for Magique to drop his Lifelink solution.