DualWield Firing Setup

I've set up the dual wield pistols like the demo scene character. The pistols fire correctly in response to left/right mouse clicks.

but I want both my pistols bind to the same input key. For example, when the firing button is held, both pistols will start firing, one shot at a time.

I've tried binding both Use(slot0) and Use(slot1) abilities to the same InputName:Fire1, result was glitchy.

I'm a little confused about which direction I should go in order to implement this feature.

Should I make a new ItemAbility which use Slot0 and Slot1 one at a time, or maybe I should make two pistols into one weapon, and have them respond to one input key?

Should I make a new ItemAbility which use Slot0 and Slot1 one at a time, or maybe I should make two pistols into one weapon, and have them respond to one input key?

That depends on exactly what you're trying to achieve. If you combined them into a single weapon with an alternating firing animation, then they would share the same ammo and the player wouldn't be able to equip just one of them alone. If that's what you want, then you could definitely take that approach, although it would require a little extra time to set up your animations properly for firing etc.

But if you want them to be truly separate weapons as in the demo scene and both fire with the same input, then you could try having one Use ability for each slot (as in the demo), apply a state preset to each one that sets its "Enabled" to false, then manually alternate which one of these states is active at any one time, i.e. when the user fires.

That depends on exactly what you're trying to achieve. If you combined them into a single weapon with an alternating firing animation, then they would share the same ammo and the player wouldn't be able to equip just one of them alone. If that's what you want, then you could definitely take that approach, although it would require a little extra time to set up your animations properly for firing etc.

But if you want them to be truly separate weapons as in the demo scene and both fire with the same input, then you could try having one Use ability for each slot (as in the demo), apply a state preset to each one that sets its "Enabled" to false, then manually alternate which one of these states is active at any one time, i.e. when the user fires.

for the first approach, I suppose i should be creating a new Use ability that sets ability int data on each fire ,and have the animations hooked to those parameters. Does that sound scientific to you? Sorry if i'm asking a dumb or obvious questions, I'm new to the system and still trying to figure out the tricks

If you want to separate the firing animation of each pistol then yes, that sounds like a good approach. Although to be honest if you're going to go that far then you may as well just have two separate weapons..!