Does anyone here use the Kubold animations with UCC?

Hey everyone,

I'm very curious. I bought quite a few Kubold animations from the Unity Asset Store and they use playmaker. I love the animations. They've been mocapped and look excellent. However, The UCC controller is such much deeper and gives so many other abilities than Playmaker.

So my question is, how do I use those animations with UCC? Also, what do I do if this Kubold animation set doesn't have, for example, swimming animations but UCC does? Can these things be combined? The new climbing add on for UCC is way more advanced than Kubold's animation set so I'm just wondering how this stuff works. I know that's probably a bit weird as things would look very different but for prototyping things mix and matching stuff isn't a problem for me.

This is what I bought...

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/animations/movement-animset-pro-14047#reviews

I'm a noob at this stuff but a faster learner so anyone here that has done this, I'd greatly appreciate some help.

Many thanks

Jono

Just set your kubold animations as mecanim (they may be by default i cannot recall) and they can be swapped as you like for UCC animations. You will lose things like LegIndex, which you could put back. You should also check for animation events in the old animations and put them in the new ones. Since all the animations are mecanim compatible, it will not matter if some are kubold and others, eg. swimming, are opsive.

I saw your other post re. playmaker. just dont install the playmaker folders from the kubold import and if on import you get any errors related to playmaker in the kubold folders delete those scripts. Kubold animations are in no way bound to that demo playmaker controller.

Many thanks man. I'm no doubt going to get stuck trying to figure this out but I will give it a go. Are there by chance any tutorial videos anywhere on the internet showing how to do this kind of thing? I'll be fine when I properly learn how this stuff works. I'm just a bit lost as a beginner at the minute.

I’ve just started using the Kubold movement and sword animsets with the UCC. I had to learn a lot to integrate what I have so far, but everything Dank said above is true, you can get a UCC controlled character using the Kubold animations.

I would suggest starting with a new animation controller and starting with creating the Idle state using Kubold. Make sure you set the UCC controller to control position via root motion (unlike the demo).

You’ll then need to have the UCC demo animator and the Kubold sample animator open to figure out/copy from to make your new animator.

I have a Movement state with Start Walking and Start Strafing sub-states which transition to a Moving sub-state and then to a bunch of different end movement single animation states, and before going back to Idle.

Unlike the UCC demo, the Kubold animations need a number of transitions to string together begin movement, movement and end movement animations.

Some tips:

- don’t forget to click the gear icon in your base layer to apply an IK pass or you’ll wonder why your foot IK doesn’t work.

- as per Dank’s note, you’ll want to recreate the LegIndex curves on the walking and running animations. These curves will look like a top hat:
___
__| |__

They will be telling the animator when the right leg (curve value = 0) or left leg (curve value = 1) is moving forward. The Kubold animations have start and stop animations that end in _RU or _LU which stand for right leg up or left leg up. You’ll need to transition to the appropriate clip depending on whether LegIndex is less than or greater than 0.5.

It’s hard work, but a great result if you can work it working as the Kubold animations are great and UCC is flexibly powerful.

I need to correct some misinformation in my own post above - the way that the UCC demo animator implements the LegIndex curve is better, and it looks like a staircase:

0: left foot planted, right foot moving in front of left foot.
0.3: right foot planted, left foot moving behind left foot.
0.7: right foot planted, left foot moving in front of left foot.
1: left foot planted, right foor moving behind left foot.

And there's no need to wedge movement start and stop animations into the movement sub-state machine. Just use the Quick Start/Stop abilities/sub-state machines!