Creating a New First Person Animation

Tester115

Hello,

I have recently been trying to create a stabbing animation for the first person arms in opsive, but I seem to be having some issues with getting it to work. In order to have a new first person animation, I just need to bring the first person arms model into a new program, make the animation, and export the fbx right? Am I missing a step?

Does the rig match the rig used for the animations? The arms use a generic animator so they need to match. Take a look at this page for more info:

Does the rig match the rig used for the animations? The arms use a generic animator so they need to match. Take a look at this page for more info:

I have attached the fbx I am attempting to use in a zip file. I believe that it is using the same rig, but I am unsure.

Attachments

• Delivery_Maya.zip
    279.4 KB · Views: 3
So that is the arm model with the rig. Within your animation program you should then be using that right.

From there you can create a generic animator and use those animations within the generic animator.

So that is the arm model with the rig. Within your animation program you should then be using that right.

From there you can create a generic animator and use those animations within the generic animator.
So it's using the right rig, but not the right animator in unity?

I have a few questions:

- What specifically is going wrong?
- Did you create a new animator for your hands?
- Is the correct animator state playing?
- In the preview window does your animation work correctly?

I have a few questions:

- What specifically is going wrong?
- Did you create a new animator for your hands?
- Is the correct animator state playing?
- In the preview window does your animation work correctly?

When I attack in-game, the animation for the stab does not play.
The animation works properly in the preview window until I drag and drop the nolan first person arms onto the preview window, then the arms do not move. I have tried genersting a new animator for the hands from the imported fbx and I tried to use the one that is in the opsive demo by default and neither seems to work. The correct animator state is playing.

Basically, I am trying to make this new animation work alongside the default animations.

Edit: I have noticed that this animation has an attached mesh in the preview window by default while the others do not.

Last edited:
Are you using the Nolan First Person Arms for your model? This aspect won't work - you'll need to use your own set of arms that have been created to work with your stabbing animation. This is related to the restriction that generic models don't allow retargetting.

Are you using the Nolan First Person Arms for your model? This aspect won't work - you'll need to use your own set of arms that have been created to work with your stabbing animation. This is related to the restriction that generic models don't allow retargetting.
I thought that if I used the same arm mesh that was included in the demo, the animation would work like the others. I'll change the mesh of the arms to see what happens.

No, you need to use a different mesh and rig. Generic animators are not able to remap like they are with humanoids. This means that when you are using your new mesh only the new animations will work and any animations included within the demo will not work with that mesh.

No, you need to use a different mesh and rig. Generic animators are not able to remap like they are with humanoids. This means that when you are using your new mesh only the new animations will work and any animations included within the demo will not work with that mesh.
Ok, thanks. That means that the animator I hired made a mistake with the mesh he used.