Crawl ability and First Person Combat view

brl0000

I'm running into a strange issue with my character's First Person Combat view when using the crawl ability. I'm using a button input to activate/deactivate the crawl ability. That part works.

But I'm looking to restore the camera position to its normal first person combat view position when not crawling. However, each time I activate the crawl ability, the position of my First Person Combat view changes. It goes lower and lower until it's at the floor, where it stays. If I keep the perspective in third person, this doesn't happen, and the crawl ability has no effect on the "default" position of the first person camera.

Of course, this works fine for Nolan in the demo scene, so it's clearly possible, and it's something with my character/camera.

I've been through every component on the demo scene camera and Nolan, trying to compare every setting and state I can find, and for days have not been able to fix this. Anyone run into this before? Thanks!

I haven't run into this before, but you could try copying the camera controller component in the demo scene to see if it's a setup issue on the camera.

I'm running into a strange issue with my character's First Person Combat view when using the crawl ability. I'm using a button input to activate/deactivate the crawl ability. That part works.

But I'm looking to restore the camera position to its normal first person combat view position when not crawling. However, each time I activate the crawl ability, the position of my First Person Combat view changes. It goes lower and lower until it's at the floor, where it stays. If I keep the perspective in third person, this doesn't happen, and the crawl ability has no effect on the "default" position of the first person camera.

Of course, this works fine for Nolan in the demo scene, so it's clearly possible, and it's something with my character/camera.

I've been through every component on the demo scene camera and Nolan, trying to compare every setting and state I can find, and for days have not been able to fix this. Anyone run into this before? Thanks!
hey! I had the same problem and was searching for difference between different GO as well. I think that the reason is that you need to have Crawling preset for UCC also for different view types of camera) below example:
This is ThirdPersonAdventure type presets on my scene:
1638295508370.png
and this is ThirdPersonAdventure type presets on Demo scene:

1638295550509.png
As you see when I in play mode and don't have Crawl preset, it's activate wrong preset for my character (in my case Run). But when it's Nolan Demo scene it's activating CrawlActive preset for camera.
So solution is just add missing presets for your ViewTypes of camera and it may fix your issue:)

I haven't run into this before, but you could try copying the camera controller component in the demo scene to see if it's a setup issue on the camera.
hey! I have the similar question as above. I was trying copy camera controller component, as you sugested, but it doesn't help. I think for me the problem that raycast is at wrong position, It's much higher than my character. Maybe you can help me, how I can fix it?
I found that at UltimateCharacterLococmotion there is a function SingleCast(Vector3 direction, Vector3 offset, int layers, ref RaycastHit result), which raycast, but I don't know where in the code I should fix position of raycast, so it will make it propperly for Crawling Ability.
Thanks in advance)

I was also testing a demo scene with Nolan, and the Vault ability doesn't work correctly. Sometimes the character gets stuck in the Vault or just crosses it without jumping over it, even when I press Space. Is it not right finetuned on your demo scene?
Also, when Nolan walks across the BalanceBridge, his feet are already in the air (not on the bridge), but he doesn't fall. Is it the same for you?
I was also wondering if your FPS is high? Because for me in the demo scene with Nolan it's about 60-80FPS, which is pretty low. Will you be doing something to improve performance?

hey! I have the similar question as above. I was trying copy camera controller component, as you sugested, but it doesn't help. I think for me the problem that raycast is at wrong position, It's much higher than my character. Maybe you can help me, how I can fix it?
I found that at UltimateCharacterLococmotion there is a function SingleCast(Vector3 direction, Vector3 offset, int layers, ref RaycastHit result), which raycast, but I don't know where in the code I should fix position of raycast, so it will make it propperly for Crawling Ability.
Thanks in advance)
The position of the camera is set by the combat view type. Is the position value changing after each instance similar to the original post? Does it work correctly in the demo scene?

I was also testing a demo scene with Nolan, and the Vault ability doesn't work correctly. Sometimes the character gets stuck in the Vault or just crosses it without jumping over it, even when I press Space. Is it not right finetuned on your demo scene?
Also, when Nolan walks across the BalanceBridge, his feet are already in the air (not on the bridge), but he doesn't fall. Is it the same for you?
I was also wondering if your FPS is high? Because for me in the demo scene with Nolan it's about 60-80FPS, which is pretty low. Will you be doing something to improve performance?
I just tested this but wasn't able to reproduce either of those issues. What variant of the controller are you using? Have you tried in a fresh project?

Replying to this old thread as it shows up high on Google for this problem.

Problem: The problem described in the OP is that the camera in first person doesn't go back up to head height after standing up from a crawl position despite the camera controller and character controllers being set up exactly the same as the demo scene that does work correctly. As a result, going in and out of crawl a few times means the camera is now on the floor. There are no exposed variables or transforms changing on the character or camera to account for the difference in height, and so no way to see why the camera is stuck where it is.

Solution: On the CameraController component, select your first person view in View Types list, scroll down to Head Tracking, and check that Smooth Head Offset Steps is not set to 0. Setting this to 0 will cause the camera to get stuck in the wrong head position sometimes. This seems to be the only internal corrective mechanism for camera height after crawling, so effectively if you have Crawl then you must have head tracking enabled.

Additional note: If you set Smooth Head Offset Steps to 0 due to crazy uncontrollable animation head bob, try checking your UltimateCharacterLocomotion component's smoothedbones list (under Movement dropdown) hasn't been emptied. Check out the demo to see what transforms to include in this list, but it should be something like Spine, Spine2/Chest, Beck, Head, Left Shoulder, Left Arm, Left Forearm, Left Hand, Right Shoulder, Right Arm, Right Forearm, Right Hand.