Climbing Pack

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
Our next ability add-on will be the Climbing Pack and we've made enough progress to create a WIP thread for it. This add-on is planned to contain three abilities:

Ladder Climb
The Ladder Climb ability enables your character to mount, move, and dismount on a ladder. The character will also be able to jump on the ladder and start moving immediately instead of having to perform a mount from the top of the bottom. Moving ladders are also supported.

We have completed this ability.

Short Climb
The Short Climb ability will play a climbing animation that moves your character up an object that is less than the character's height. This ability can be used for a variety of object heights.

We are currently polishing this ability.

Free Climb
The Free Climb ability will allow your character to traverse a vertical wall in any direction. It will support curved surfaces and 90 degree turns.

We have not started on this ability yet.

The add-on will only contain three abilities but these abilities should be extremely versatile. Please let me know if there's anything specific that you'd like to see in any of these abilities and we'll see if it is feasible. While we do not give ETAs we are hoping to be able to release this add-on this month. As with all of our assets we'll release it on the Opsive Store first to ensure there are no unforeseen problems.

To show something visual here are two gifs of the ladder climb ability:

Ladder.gif

MovingLadder.gif

Very cool!!
Will it be possible to move from ladder to hang? or jump from ladder?
Can't wait! Thank you!

Will it be possible to move from ladder to hang?
Do you mean horizontally, like a ledge is to the left or the right of the middle of a ladder?

Right now we haven't worked on a cross with the Agility Pack but I think it's a good idea. So you'd have:

Ladder/Free Climb to Hang or Ledge Strafe
Hang or Ledge Strafe to Ladder/Free Climb

Am I missing any others?

jump from ladder?
Yes

I'm going to guess that this "add-on" will be $20.

It'll be similar to the other ability add-ons at $15.

Leap in all cardinal directions while free climbing!
We were planning on doing leap up, and could do leap in all directions besides down/diagonal down because I'm not sure what that would look like. In that case would shift + direction allow you to leap?

We were planning on doing leap up, and could do leap in all directions besides down/diagonal down because I'm not sure what that would look like. In that case would shift + direction allow you to leap?
Yeah, down and down-diagonals are not included .. up/up-diagonal and left-right. Shift or space/jump would be ideal.

That is a combination of climbing, balancing, swinging, and hanging. You could use these abilities as a base for those, but for example you will not be able to jump from climbing to a hanging platform behind you.

is there climbing for 1m,2m,3m heights?.
We do have three different heights for short climb. The AbilityFloatData value is set specifying the height of the object so you'll be able to change animations based on that height.

Also, would it be possible to add in climbing up and down a rope?
Possible, yes, but not for this add-on :) For this add-on I am keeping it focused on traditional climbing and not having to worry about the physics of swinging on a rope.

Will the free climb ability allow a character to jump directly into the "climbing point" and get itself up there? Like in the image.
images

Will the free climb ability allow a character to jump directly into the "climbing point" and get itself up there? Like in the image.
images
With Free Climb you can mount on the climbing object from the air, but you are not able to specify a specific point that the character mounts to.