Character sliding around instead of walking

SlamDaBrakes

I have a character using Third Person Controller character AI set up, but when I attach Behavior Designer and create a tree, my character just slides around instead of walking. Tried Patrol and Wander.

I have checked and walking animation works on the character, because if I add my own character controller on the model, the character can walk fine. Switched the character controller on the AI agent to my own, instead of TPC Shooter controller, and it works fine.

I checked Root Motion is ticked , Nav Mesh Agent and Behavior AI agent is attached to the character. Not sure what I have missed !

Thanks

Using Unity 2018.3.11f1
TPC 1.3.11
Behavior Designer 1.6.2

In version 1.3.11 I believe that the component that you need to attach is called the NavMeshAgentBridge so the NavMeshAgent will translate movements to the character.

Hi Justin:

I have a similar problem. I have just recently returned to using behavior designer and the ultimate character controller. I downloaded the most recent version but ran into a problem that is perhaps easy to fix. I saw from the conversation above that NavMeshAgentBridge translates movement to the character - I recall using that last year - but apparently, it is now integrated with BD/Movement since I can't find that script. I .am sometimes getting movement and other times not

My problem is that in implementing moving a character around using BD and the movement package is that for some of the tasks it works perfectly and for others not. For example, Seek does precisely what it says it will do, but other tasks such as wander or patrol do nothing after appearing as a task in a sequence. However, wander works fine if it is the only task in a behavior tree.

I have checked to make sure the character is set up as a nav mesh agent (sizes checked) in the components of the character and that the UCC has the Nav mesh agent ability enabled. The integrations are installed from BD and UCC. I did bake the nav mesh with walkable. I'm using the "demo" character controller that comes with the UCC. I did check the AI agent and Nav mesh agent in the character wizard. I did add behavior tree agent component to the AI.

Obviously I've forgotten something, but I can't seem to figure out what (I did use the UCC wizard to set up the NPC). I'm running on a MacBook pro (most recent) and also have dialogue system installed and running an ink script. That works perfectly, btw. Unity 2.19.3.14f1 .

Hope there is an obvious thing I have forgotten.... See the very simple bd tree I was using to test. Seek does find places to go on the navmesh, but neither patrol or wander will run. If you start with patrol or wander, with no other tasks, patrol and wander run as expected, however. BTW, if I remove the dialogue I still have the problem (not shown here; the behavior tree is on another character).

Screenshot 2020-05-30 15.40.28.png

Thanks,

John

Thanks Justin:

I did set up the navmeshagent as specified. But still had the problem specified above. Must be some other small thing that I'm just not seeing. If you don't see something I should try, I'll start over with a clean install and see if I injured something building the previous scene...... I have had this all working in the past and I hope to get it working again....

Any ideas you have for me to try would be helpful.

Thanks,
John

It looks like you are using an older version of Behavior Designer but this wouldn't change the functionality. I would create a new character to see if that works, and if it does to compare to your existing character.