Character aim pose and actual hit point (3rd person)

JohnG

I have sorted out most of my issues related to shooting, however this issue has me stumped.

• The two images below are separated into scene view on left, game view on right.
  • The Green ray is the debug ray from the characterik script.
  • The yellow ray is my ray estimating the real force direction.
  • The blue ray is the collider impact point from the onimpact event, with force direction.
  • The red ray is the collider impact point from the onimpact event, with force -direction.
As you can see on the first image, the green line isn't even close to lining up. It doesn't effect the aiming or impact, it just effects the game visualization. In this image it is still passable as the character and target has a bit of distance between them.

On image 2 it is very noticeable, and is something I would like to avoid especially if you are sneaking up behind an enemy and shoot the unfortunate individual in the head.

I have played around with a few settings (ie characterik), however I cant find a solution that works for both distance shots and close and personal shots. I am sure someone must have come across this, and has a solution for me.

So I think my question is, "How do I get green ray to match yellow ray irrespective of distance (when aiming)"?

Image 1

nolan1.jpg

Image 2

nolan2.jpg

I marked this down to see if there's anything that can be improved upon for the next release. The weapon will fire towards the crosshairs but it doesn't look like the CharacterIK component is reflecting that direction. I'll let you know when I find out more.

I marked this down to see if there's anything that can be improved upon for the next release. The weapon will fire towards the crosshairs but it doesn't look like the CharacterIK component is reflecting that direction. I'll let you know when I find out more.

Thanks @Justin. I have been looking to buy rootmotions Final IK for some time, any idea if this solves the issue? If yes, is the integration still working?

I don't think that it'll help the issue since FinalIK will use the same direction as CharacterIK. The integration does use version 2.2.

I was curious what happened in other games so I loaded up my favorite first/third person reference game (GTA) and tried it out. It looks like they have a similar mechanic as what exists in the third person view right now where the weapon's IK doesn't always point to the firing direction. In my test I shot a garbage bin that was taller than the location of the weapon. Even though the weapon was below the bin the weapon still hit the top of the bin because that's where the crosshairs was.

I was curious what happened in other games so I loaded up my favorite first/third person reference game (GTA) and tried it out. It looks like they have a similar mechanic as what exists in the third person view right now where the weapon's IK doesn't always point to the firing direction. In my test I shot a garbage bin that was taller than the location of the weapon. Even though the weapon was below the bin the weapon still hit the top of the bin because that's where the crosshairs was.

You just got me checking GTA V, works as expected (cross hairs correspond to guns aim (sniper, handgun and assault), and hits exactly on cross hair. The only difference between my character and the gta character is the 3rd person position. On GTA the camera is closer to the player vs my game, the camera is further away from the player.

I will check your demo scene and see if its working the same as my game. Ill let you know.

I am hoping I don't get sidetracked by playing GTA now, love the game (thanks alot).

Checked your demo, much more accurate than my example. Not GTAV perfect, but a lot better that what I showed in my example. I changed the "third person combat", look offset, in order to match my perspective that I am looking for, I think I might have changed something else when I initially setup my game scene. Anyway, thanks for the help.