Changing Mesh of Nolan Character

Tester115

I have recently experimented with changing the character model of the default Nolan character to a different character that I have been performing some tests with. I have attempted to do this by changing the mesh within the skinnedmeshrender component of the body part of the Nolan prefab. The model changes and animates, but the character is very oddly stretched out. I have also tried copying in a new skinnedmeshrender, which results in a model that does not animate.

Is it possible to change the Nolan character model without creating an entirely new character? I have made various additions and customizations to scripts and parts of the prefab that would be quite troublesome to do with a freshly created UFPM character.

Changing the model should not be a problem, see also this thread:

You have to ensure that the avatar and rig fits to your model, and that there are not multiple animators on your character. This can lead to the strange behavior you see.

Unfortunately, I am still having issues changing the character model. I have attached a model with the mesh that I am trying to substitute in for the body of the first person melee character. The best I can get is a weirdly stretched out version of the model or the model not showing up at all.

Attachments

• boxMan.zip
    92.2 KB · Views: 3
Changing the character model is a time consuming process so unfortunately we won't be able to do that for you. Another thing you can try is to create a new character with your new model and then use the "Copy Component" feature of Unity's inspector to copy the component values.

I ended up creating a new character using the FPSMeshTool and copied over some of the component values and child objects I needed. It's not the simplest solution, but it worked better than trying to inject a new model in.