changing bob parameters has no effect

Buzzard

I even tried using zero for all the bob values in the camera controller.

The character I'm using is the default one produced by the UFPS character manager using the same model in the demo.

I've read the user manual for all the components involved and it has only confounded the situation.

I know 2018.3 isn't fully endorsed atm. Could this be the cause of the issue?

I just tried it and was able to change it. The bob parameter is a common property that is updated throughout various presets so make sure you change all of those presets as well.

If you don't have any other presets then the variable wouldn't be overridden. What bob parameter are you adjusting? Something like the Bob Positional Rate on the Combat View Type? If you can list the steps to reproduce from a fresh project that should help me figure out what you are looking at.

@Justin

>Create empty project
>Import UFPS (including demo scene)
>Blank scene with terrain for floor
>Use opsive window to generate managers, ui, camera with defaults
>Use opsive window to generate First Person character with Nolan model and default settings
>Change Bob Positional Rate and Amplitude on First Person script on camera
>Test

The bob rate stays at whatever the default is regardless of the settings. Is the camera trying to follow the head of the Nolan model?

When you say that the bob rate stays at whatever the default is, do you mean that the fields revert back to their original value when you hit play or that there is still a bobbing motion?

I can indeed confirm the same issue. Even with bob parameters set on 0, the camera has a strange, almost buggy Y bobbing. Just to confirm, Justin, are you changing the values in the screenshot?Annotation 2018-12-25 140229.png

Ahh, ok, I was thinking that the fields weren't being updated. Yes, I am changing the fields highlighted in your screenshot @dandesign.

The camera will loosely follow the character's head position - you can adjust how closely it follows this head position by adjusting the Smooth Head Offset Steps. This is done so if the character crouches the camera won't be way above the character model. If you go to the springs room in the demo scene there is a button with "No Springs". Can you go through this room and see if that works correctly?

@Justin

That did the trick!
I think that the documentation could use a section on setting up a character from scratch both with and without an associated model. I thought that the UFPS1 documentation did a pretty good job at this (though it failed in places where the UCC documentation succeeds).

Anyways, thanks for the help!

@Justin
What are typical setting ranges? The bob only starts to be visible if I put ridiculously high numbers for the position in (100+). The Rotation Strafe Roll field also has the same problem.

Is the camera still being coupled to the character model? Is there a way for me to explicitly detach the camera?

I have the anchor set to 'none' which says it will use the character transform. 'Auto Anchor' is also set to false.

I'd like full body awareness, but not at the expense of tighter camera configuration.

I've run into the same problem @Buzzard. It seems like the bob values are extremely finicky, and some go up to 100s before I start seeing anything, whilst others are fine with 1s and 2s. This is a very weird problem, considering how easy this was in UFPS 1.

Last edited:
I think that the documentation could use a section on setting up a character from scratch both with and without an associated model. I thought that the UFPS1 documentation did a pretty good job at this (though it failed in places where the UCC documentation succeeds).
I've updated the docs to this - think this will work? You can set it to 0 to disable.

If the character is a humanoid the First Person View Type will follow the character's head position. This prevents the camera from seeing inside the character's model when the character has a different vertical height (such as if the character is crouching). This head tracking will also give a slight bob as the character is moving. You can disable the head tracking completely by setting the Smooth Head Offset Steps field to 0. This field specifies the number of head positions the camera remembers when determining the head position. The larger the value to more positions will be remembered which gives a smoother result.

What are typical setting ranges? The bob only starts to be visible if I put ridiculously high numbers for the position in (100+). The Rotation Strafe Roll field also has the same problem.
100+ seems large, though if you have an extremely stiff spring you'll need to have larger values in order to see the effects. Are you able to reproduce it within the demo scene so I can see if everything is working?