[BUG] Exit Drive ability on moving platform crazy physics results

nnurgle2

Hi,

1. Character controller variant: Ultimate Character Controller v2.4.3
2. Unity version: 2021.1.7f1

I added the drive ability to my character in order to pilot a pirate ship. The ship bobs in the water so it was necessary to make it a moving platform in the layer's drop down. This all works great until I exit the drive state. The character starts spinning around some unknown origin below his feet and this spinning accelerates rapidly. This happens very reliably, but not all the time. I would say 90% of the time it does so. I have not had this happen when the moving platform is not assigned as the ship's layer.

I have two videos showing the outcomes with and without the moving platform layer assigned

This first video shows the ship marked with the default layer. The character slides around on the deck a little bit but enters the driving state and then exits the driving state with no extreme issues:

This second video shows the ship marked with the moving platform layer. The character walks better on the moving platform but after exiting the driving state everything goes crazy.

Last edited:
Are you using the drive ability? Can you tell me how to reproduce it within the demo scene?

Yes I'm using the drive ability. I reproduced the issue in the demo scene cutting out as much of the excess code and clutter. Basically just a platform, rigid body and the drive elements set up. Everything wigs out if the platform has the Moving Platform layer. I'm assuming it has something to do with trying to keep the character's feet attached to the platform. In my original scene over water the character spins around the platform (ship). In the video below, I show starting the drive ability and stopping it with the layer set to default, then do the same thing with the layer set to moving platform.

My drivable platform script is attached below.

Attachments

• DrivablePlatform.cs
    3.7 KB · Views: 6
Hey Justin are you guys planning on creating a piloting ability for aircraft, spaceships and boats