[Bug] Error when using "Save As External Behavior Tree"

timconkling

Hi there,

I'm unable to "save as external behavior tree". I'm right-clicking in the behavior designer window and choosing that option from the context menu. After I'm prompted to choose a name and destination for the behavior asset, I get this error in the console:

Code:
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
BehaviorDesigner.Editor.BehaviorDesignerWindow.SaveAsAsset () (at <cbc6cba1e5214bf2b8da35620a99b935>:0)
UnityEditor.GenericMenu.CatchMenu (System.Object userData, System.String[] options, System.Int32 selected) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/GenericMenu.cs:121)

This happens for any behavior tree, even a trivial one with a single task under the entry point.

I'm running Unity 2018.3.3f1 (the latest as of today); this was happening with the previous version of 2018.3 as well.

Thanks!
Tim

Are you using Behavior Designer 1.6.1? I just tried to reproduce but wasn't able to. If you can list the steps to reproduce from a fresh project that would be great.

Hi Justin,

Yes, I'm using 1.6.1. I've just created a new empty project with just BD 1.6.1, and was able to repro the issue there as well:

- Create an object
- Add a Behavior Tree component to it
- Open the new behavior in the editor and add a single node
- Right-click, Save As External Behavior Tree
- Enter any filename and hit Save
- Error occurs, and file isn't saved

This happens on both Mac and Windows, using the latest Unity.

However! This only occurs when I've imported RuntimeSource_Unity_2018_3.unitypackage; if I'm just using the imported package from the asset store, I get no such error. (I'm using the latest RuntimeSource download from the Opsive page).

(Why is the runtime source distributed separately?)

Attachments

• BehaviorDesignerError.jpeg
    BehaviorDesignerError.jpeg
    649.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks - I was able to reproduce that. If you update the runtime source package you should be good to go :)

Hi Justin -

I just re-downloaded the source package and re-imported, but I'm getting the same issue. (Also, git doesn't show any difference in any of the files, including the editor dll, after having imported - is it possible the download link is stale?)

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks for letting me know. I don't know how I missed it but the 2018.3 version wasn't updated. Go ahead and try it again and it should work this time :)