[BUG] Any changes in Animator during runtime will break animation

chrisk

1.Third Person Controller, verified in TPC2.1.10, and 2.1.4

2. Unity version (include which SRP, beta Unity versions aren't supported), verified in 2019.1 and 2019.3

3. Changing any Animator values in the Inspector will cause the animation to break.

4. Click on 'Play" and open Animator. Click on any animator element and change some Inspector values. And then try to "Jump".

5. Changing any Animator parameter during runtime will cause Animator to break.
This bug will make the finetuning almost impossible. It requires very tedious repeat cycles. Change->Stop->Play->try to get to the previous state->Test->Change->Stop....
I think this is a quite serious bug because animation always needs fine-tuning.

Thanks.

I just changed a few parameter values on a couple of the states and the animator continued to work. UCC doesn't do anything special with the animator controller so this is likely a bug report for Unity.

That's strange. I can easily reproduce it. For example, please try to change the Speed parameter to 0.9 in the Movement Inspector during runtime and try to jump.
This happens to all Editor versions I tested and if it's a Unity bug, someone must have noticed while ago.

1580218639351.png

When I changed that parameter you're right in that I wasn't able to jump. It still looks like a Unity issue though - the reason the character isn't able to jump is because the OnAnimatorJump animation event doesn't get sent.

OnAnimatorJump is an animation event sent from an animation clip, right?
So do you think it's a bug in the Animator not sending the animation event?

Right now, I'm looking at the character Abilities in Inspector and I don't see Jump Ability being activated.

Not for me. I think we have a different game state.

Here are the exact steps.
1. change the Animator parameter
2. Left-click on the Game view to get back to the game. This will automatically trigger Use.
3. I noticed that the Ability is stuck at Use Ability and at this point it will not respond to Jump Ability.

So the problem is the Ability getting stuck at Use. Do you think it's still related to some animation events not being fired?

2019.3 is just has been released and I'll do the test in that build and let you know.
Thanks.

It's the same in 2019.3f6. If it's the animation event not being fired after a modification, it's hard to believe it's unnoticed for such a long time.
I just gotten started working on animation and noticed it immediately. hm...

Do you think it's still related to some animation events not being fired?
Yes, animation events are used by the Use ability so if those aren't firing then it's going to get stuck (similar to jump).