[Bug] A*pathfinding Seek task incorrectly success at second call

GeorgeZ

Behavior Tree logic

Note:

1. bool value StopOnTaskEnd has been checked in both seek task.

2. Two seek task has assigned two different gameobject as destination.

Describe:

First seek task works fine. After wait for 5s, the second seek will start. But the task will immediately return success and never move.

I think is because IAstarAI is updating remainingDistance very slow after new destination has been assigned.

My temporary solution:

Change code in IAstarAIMovement.cs
Code:
        protected override void Stop()
        {
            agent.isStopped = true;
            agent.destination = Vector3.positiveInfinity;
            //agent.canMove = false;
        }

protected override bool HasArrived()
        {
            return agent.reachedDestination || (agent.remainingDistance < arriveDistance.Value && !agent.isStopped);
        }

Thanks for the repro steps. I think that your solution looks good and I'll make a similar change on my end.

My temporary solution:

Change code in IAstarAIMovement.cs
Code:
        protected override void Stop()
        {
            agent.isStopped = true;
            agent.destination = Vector3.positiveInfinity;
            //agent.canMove = false;
        }

protected override bool HasArrived()
        {
            return agent.reachedDestination || (agent.remainingDistance < arriveDistance.Value && !agent.isStopped);
        }
This fixed my issue I was having too. The remainingDistance goes down to a very low number for example .0000001 when switching targets quickly so the HasArrived always returns as true...and therefore shows as success. Thanks!

This modification helped me as well. Thanks!

Edit. It worked the first time I tried it but I;m still having trouble changing destination points.

Ah, I think my problem was really trying to use the point graph and the grid graph together. This just resulted in a giant headache. I've found a happy middle ground by using Unity navmesh for the wander type motions and the A* for paths.

Last edited:
I seems find another issue with this fix. If the seek task stopOnTaskEnd set to true, the Stop() will be called in OnEnd(). Then the agent will incorrectly success on second call, because the agent.agent.remainingDistance will remains no change, caused HasArrived() return true.

It works fine if stopOnTaskEnd set to false.