BD Movement Pack vs Tactical Pack - variables

DeanMarquette

Hi, for some odd reason BD doesn't recognize Tags even though the option is there and Emerald AI does. For this reason I assign "Find gameobject with Tag" to a variable and then use that variable as the object to "Seek" (movement pack). However, using "Attack" from the tactical pack only allows dynamic variables unlike "Seek" so I cannot use the "with Tag" work around.

How can I use "Attack" to find the player without assigning a game object? I want to assign a variable like in Seek. I might want to switch players in mid game.

Tags are slow so I generally recommend that you do not use them. They should still work for the Movement Pack though - are you using Can See Object? There was an issue in old of the older versions of the Movement Pack that prevented tags from workings.

About tags being slow... I have often considered just adding my own tags system, and then instead of having to search through all objects or whatever Unity does, just have some main controller with everything that has certain tags. Also making it possible for each gameobject to have more than one tag.

I guess you will still end up then having to check the gameobject the AI is detecting whether it has a "tag" script, and getcomponent is also a bit slow I guess? Do you have any alternatives to recommend?

I recommend using layers or specify the objects manually - layers are extremely quick because it's just a bitwise comparison and not a string comparison.

Oh right. I had already thought about using layers. I have to check the pretty basic AI system I made for a zombie simulation, to see if I actually got around to do that. I think I did.

Which reminds me of another question. Do you know the asset Los Pro? A line of sight and hearing system. I hope to try to use it with the first person controller and Behavior Designer. But I have not yet tested Los Pro much yet, but it seems promising. The ones that released it are usually pretty good at making their assets extendable. Otherwise my own system might pretty much be doing the same, but, hoping Los Pro will be less work to integrate with everything in the long run and give something extra that I might not have thought of yet. Likely more optimized than my system.

I made this with UFPS, where I got it to work with Inventory Pro and Quest System Pro. It seems you kept supporting the integration with Inventory Pro with the UFPS v2, so that is nice. The AI system for the zombies were based on the zombie simulator AI, so it was very basic, and I just added some UFPS components to them to get some hit effects and such. For some reason the trigger collider I had added to use for sight, detecting enemies, also worked with the weapons in UFPS, so you could hit them too easily if you were outside of sight range / collider range. Something that could probably be solved if I just used layers better overall.
https://gamejolt.com/games/BeyondSalvation/273484

I am hoping to see if I can use Behavior Designer to make a kind of GOAP like AI system. It seems to be pretty close to that already. The Utility AI system is pretty close to that.

Another feature I hope to add, is integration with Final IK and Puppet Master. I hope to make it so that when you shoot or hit these character, that they actually get pushed back a bit, because that makes a world of difference in how realistic they react to physics. My end goal is using these AI in VR, so that part I am focusing on quite a bit right now. I found an old tutorial made to work with the old 3rd Person Opsive character controller. Not sure how well it works with the new one.