Asset store arms that would work with demo animator?

b152349

Arms created from a humanoid-rigged model and split with FPS Mesh tool don't seem to work with the FirstPersonDemo animator, I assume because the source model was humanoid-rigged? (They just stay in the starting position) If that's the case, I'm looking for arms without clothing that would work out of the box with the animations that come with UCC.

Would this work? https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/humanoids/first-person-generic-arms-pack-18922

If not, are there any other arms from the asset store that will work with this? I'd prefer to use the animations that come packaged with this asset for simplicity's sake. Thanks in advance.

I have heard of people using the first person arms with FPS Mesh tool because really the arms with FPS Mesh tool is just a humanoid. With that said I haven't tried it myself so if anybody else wants to chime in that would be great.

To answer your question though the included first person animations were made with a generic rig and since the animator doesn't support retargetting with generic rigs I do not think that there are any first person arms on the asset store that work with the existing animations. I'm not the best source for knowing how to modify the animations though since we have to create everything from scratch to be able to be sold on the Asset Store, but I thought that I saw on the discord channel people being able to modify it.

I have heard of people using the first person arms with FPS Mesh tool because really the arms with FPS Mesh tool is just a humanoid. With that said I haven't tried it myself so if anybody else wants to chime in that would be great.

To answer your question though the included first person animations were made with a generic rig and since the animator doesn't support retargetting with generic rigs I do not think that there are any first person arms on the asset store that work with the existing animations. I'm not the best source for knowing how to modify the animations though since we have to create everything from scratch to be able to be sold on the Asset Store, but I thought that I saw on the discord channel people being able to modify it.

Oh.. I didn't understand that. I thought they had to be generic to work. For use with fps mesh tool arms, which animator controller would I use? From what I read here: https://www.opsive.com/forum/index.php?threads/setup-of-fps-arms.303/ , FirstPersonDemo is meant specifically for Nolan.

I'm also a little confused in general now. You have all of these animations packaged with the asset but apparently they only 100% work for the nolan demo model? How do most people use this asset? Do they replace your animations with custom ones? I don't have any so I hope not.

I responded to your question in that thread.

Humanoid animations can be retargetted, but it's tougher for generics. I know some people are using the humanoid animations with the arms though and FPS Mesh Tool. Try popping in the discord channel and asking there because I've seen the discussion a few times there. If you can then post what you found here that would be great so others searching will have an idea.

I responded to your question in that thread.

Humanoid animations can be retargetted, but it's tougher for generics. I know some people are using the humanoid animations with the arms though and FPS Mesh Tool. Try popping in the discord channel and asking there because I've seen the discussion a few times there. If you can then post what you found here that would be great so others searching will have an idea.

Thanks again. Once/if I get this working I'll post a video with the entire process from creating the segments with fps mesh tool all the way to getting the sword and animation working (which is what I wish I had right now). I'll have to find that link to the discord server.

You can use the Nolan animations with any humanoid character. I can get everything working except the Bow and Arrow animations. I'm not sure what the problem is with that.

The FPS Mesh tool also works fine after you play with it a bit.
Here is what I have learned so far.

Run the FPS Mesh Tool as normal for your character.
You should have a copy of your character in the FPSMeshTool folder.

After you have your rebuilt full character with separate Arms, Body and Head, run the FPS Mesh tool on your "original" model again to create your FPS Arms.

Here is the quick rundown on how to create your FPS Arms
Run the FPS Mesh Tool
Add you character
Uncheck "Include All"
Select ONLY "Include Left Arm" and "Include Right Arm"
Press Create Preview.
Press "Build FPS Mesh"

You should now have a copy of only your characters Arms in the FPSMeshTool folder.
This is the Object you should replace the NolanArms with for your Character. I usually rename the FPS Arms mesh to something like "MyCharactersArms".

After this I replaced the materials on my FPS Arms with my ORIGINAL materials. Do not use the "FPSMesh- ..." materials. If you do, when you use the "UCCFPS Material Controller" script, it will make both sets of arm disappear when you go into first person mode.

I purchased a few sets of arms in an attempt to use. Nothing works as well as the FPS Mesh tool. They are good references to make custom animations though.
The only thing I have had to do is fine tune some of the animations with "Avatar Masks". This would be used for facial animations and hands. A lot of the animations for full humanoid figures are not as detailed in those parts on the animations, ie trigger pulls and facial animations.

Last edited:
You can use the Nolan animations with any humanoid character. I can get everything working except the Bow and Arrow animations. I'm not sure what the problem is with that.

After you have your rebuilt full character with separate Arms, Body and Head, run the FPS Mesh tool on your "original" model again to create your FPS Arms.

Run the FPS Mesh Tool
Add you character
Uncheck "Include All"
Press Create Preview.
Press "Build FPS Mesh"

You should now have a copy of only your characters Arms in the FPSMeshTool folder.
This is the Object you should replace the NolanArms with for your Character. I usually rename the FPS Arms mesh to something like "MyCharactersArms".

After this I replaced the materials on my FPS Arms with my ORIGINAL materials. Do not use the "FPSMesh- ..." materials. If you do, when you use the "UCCFPS Material Controller" script, it will make both sets of arm disappear when you go into first person mode.

I purchased a few sets of arms in an attempt to use. Nothing works as well as the FPS Mesh tool. They are good references to make custom animations though.
The only thing I have had to do is fine tune some of the animations with "Avatar Masks". This would be used for facial animations and hands. A lot of the animations for full humanoid figures are not as detailed in those parts on the animations, ie trigger pulls and facial animations.

Thank you! I did finally get it working.

Do you know why the bow and arrow animations aren't working with it? I was planning to use those.

Last edited:
I dont know. from reading others have them working but i dont know if they are only doing 3rd person , if the FPS Mesh tool is being used or maybe it is my character model. I dont know. I cant figure that part out. Try it and tell me if it works for you.

Run the FPS Mesh Tool
Add you character
Uncheck "Include All"
Press Create Preview.
Press "Build FPS Mesh"

I couldn't get it working like you said. The arms which are created by FPS Mesh Tool have humanoid avatar while Nolan arms are Generic avatar. I couldn't make FPS Mesh Tool arms play Nolan's arm animations. How could you do that?

Finally, I could get it to work! By not using FirstPersonArmsDemo.controller, but use FirstPersonControllerDemo.controller instead, now it works like a charm!