Adding Lots of Interaction Animations

KO_Games

Hi,

I had a question regarding adding lots of animations for different interactions.

For example, in my game I want the player to play a different animation depending on which object they are interacting with. Right now I am adding an Interact ability to the player ultimate character locomotion component and then picking a different ability index parameter for each object the character interacts with. This then allows me to play a different animation depending on which object the character is interacting with. This works fine so long as there are not a lot of interactions. However, in my game part of the main gameplay loop is that the player will have lots of interactions with different objects or scenes (each of these will have different animations for the player depending on what they are interacting with).

As you can see, I could very quickly be adding tons of the interact abilities (each with a different ability index parameter) to the ultimate character locomotion controller. I was wondering if this could be handled a different way as it could easily become a situation where there are such as 50 interact abilities on the player ultimate character locomotion controller (each with a different ability index parameter). This doesn't seem to scale very well and since only a couple of those interact abilities will be required on each level it seems a little unnecessary to have all the interact abilities for the entire game on each level.

You will notice this same issue on the Opsive Demo scene as well. For example, you have an interact#1 for a button, Interact#2 for a chest, Interact#3 walk through door, Interact #4 walk through door, Interact#5 Open door. You can see how in a full game this could expand to where you have an incredibly long list of interact abilities.

It seems like a more simple way to handle this would be for the object that the player is interacting with to hold the ability int data. That way I could just have one interact ability on the player and then the objects in the scene would determine which player animation should play. Not sure if something like this is possible? Or if there is a better way to handle this kind of situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

This definitely is a good idea. It's not possible right now without modifications to the Interact ability but I've added it to my list!

This definitely is a good idea. It's not possible right now without modifications to the Interact ability but I've added it to my list!
I know you are super busy with lots of projects going on. Is there any time frame when you think something like this could be implemented? If it won't be for a while, then I'll just need to figure out another solution to use in the meantime.

Unfortunately I am not able to give ETAs on features - there are a lot of moving parts so I cannot give a timeframe.