3rd person Camera Jittery

Capture.JPG
i didn't get any bottle neck. just this one.
this is on empty scene and i removed all character abilities and item abilities.
it moves forward direction smoothly, but when i turn camera it more jitters.
i didn't get this problem in old version.
i take fresh project and tested on demo scene in combat mode, get this problem. adventure mode running smoothly in demo scene, but not working on new scene.

Last edited:
You are running at 250FPS so that looks good. In version 2.2 the default is to update within the Update loop, but you can update within FixedUpdate by changing the location on the Ultimate Character Locomotion component. In prior versions it updated within FixedUpdate.

I make a bulid, here is the result. The jittery is obvious.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    215.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.png
    2.png
    220.6 KB · Views: 11
FinalIK is taking 30% of your time which is a lot of time. I'm not an expert in FinalIK so I can't help with that aspect, but 10% is higher than it should be. If you drill down what is taking the most amount of time? You are also running in FixedUpdate so you could decrease the fixed timestep within the time manager. Alternatively you could run within Update.

But it doesn't solve my problem, even with a single capsule on a single plane. I don't know what happens.
I'm sure my scene is very simple, just a character walking on a terrian, and no trees.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.png
    2.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
You'll want to report that to Unity - Device.Preset is taking 101ms and I'm not sure what that is.

I have the same issue, I tried even importing just this package into an empty project and I have the same problem in a the Third Person Controller demo scene. In my other scenes I don't have this problem it seems something specific to the character controller demo scene setup, I even tried removing everything in the scene except the camera, Nolan and the floor he's standing on and still have this frame rate problem. It's showing excessive use of EditorLoop but I don't have anything else imported into this project, just the Third Person Controller and demo scene. I also tried deleting my library and temp files and reimporting everything, it's still an issue in the demo scene and not my other scenes without third person controller. I did recently try updating to 2019.3 with the new input system and DOTS then downgraded my project and reset everything back to 2019.2.3f1 but it's possible something with the new input or rendering system is messing with the components? Thanks! I'm excited to use your controller!

It's showing excessive use of EditorLoop
EditorLoop seems to be causing a lot of issues. The more bug reports that Unity gets related to this the more likely it is that they will fix it.

possible something with the new input or rendering system is messing with the components?
I don't think so - it's whatever EditorLoop is doing that is causing the problem.
I'm excited to use your controller!
:)

Thanks Justin, I'll be sure to report this to Unity I just thought I'd let you know because it only seems to be happening in the Opsive demo scene, the rest of my game is running some pretty heavy stuff and tons of editor tools with no issue

I would very much like to chime in here too. I've seen this issue before and am starting to experience again in my current project. I haven't been able to get it to take place within the demo scenes but definitely within larger projects. The editorloop is a general issue that Unity continues to attempt to fix or improve. However, it's not primarily the editorloop so much because it will do the exact same thing in a build (which I haven't yet profiled so I don't know where the bottleneck is).

Having said all that it's very strange that it only takes place with the 3rd person camera verses the 1st person. At first I thought it might be a height issue with the 3p camera but that was not the case. Still trying to figure it out as it's extremely annoying and would sure to be a huge topic of discussion in a final build of any project.

Justin if you have any more advise on some things I (we) could look into to try to resolve, I would be indebted!
-- Thanks!

Further testing showed that the 3P camera has issues with terrain tile seams as well as walls/objects edges which cause the shutter/jitter. So far I've found it's a direct issue with OP 3P as I've test the same walls/object edges and terrain tiles seams with other 3P cameras and controllers and they are smooth. Have not found the cure-all for OP 3P yet. Justin any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Can you tell me how to reproduce the jitter from a fresh project?
Hi justing, how are you?
Im experiencing the same issue on version 2.4.9.
However, if I set the update location to Fixed Update, I experience cammera jitter, if I change it to Update the problem dissapears, so Im on the opposite side of some people here. Setting it to Update forces me to change vehicles and 4 legged characters to Update also, otherwise they also jitter.

What are the disadvantages of running it all on Update? I've heard that Fixed Update is the best way to go to be aligned with physics.

The way to reproduce this:

+ Create a new project with nothing but the Third Person Controller 2.4.9.
+ Load the demo scene
+ Check the differences by changing Update to Fixed Update on all characters/vehicles.

Hope you can help on this!

The jitter problem has really been improved in version 3. Version 2 will no longer be receiving updates.