3rd person Camera Jittery

Hayden Fleming

Hi, i just downloaded Ultimate character controller, when I set up the 3rd person character, thrrough a basic setup, the camera was super jittery when I look and walk around, But does not do this when I shoot. I don't think its my machine because when I make other characters it is fine. Is there a way to fix it?

Do you have the character selected in the editor? This will definitely cause problems as the inspector has a lot to draw.

Besides that, is it smoother if you make a build? Can you profile the game to see what the bottleneck is?

I have the similar issue, it seems like it's the machine,.
The problem happens with or without the character selected.
Making a bulid isn't smoother.

Does the windows demo scene work properly?

That looks like it is having problems loading in the objects. Two questions:

- Is that from the executable?
- If you create a new scene with just a character on a plane does it work better?

Sorry, i'm quite new to the profile. Here's some screenshots

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    120.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.png
    2.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.png
    3.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 10
Thanks. The good news is that it doesn't look like there is anything within the character controller causing the problem. The bad news is that it looks like a Unity issue. That last screenshot in particular has an extremely high value for something called EditorLoop. This sounds like it's something internal to Unity that is taking a lot of processing time. It probably makes sense to submit that scene to Unity along with a video/screencapture of the profiler so they can take a look at it.

Thanks, is it the problem of my machine? I can't even play the demo scene very smoothly. But the Witcher 3 works fine for me. How can i do about it?

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 4
In that last screenshot what is taking the large amount processing time? Your screenshot is cut off.

Every High Value is caused by EditorLoop, up to 200ms - 300ms, and the playerloop no more than 10ms, and it's about the same time the camera snaps.

That looks like it's a problem with Unity. You should report that as a bug to them.

If it's generally jittery and not just an issue with those EditorLoop spikes, I had the same problem and found that changing UpdateLocation on the UltimateCharacterLocomotion script to 'FixedUpdate' made my camera buttery smooth, and also fixed an issue I had with inconsistent jumping.

i have also same problem.
i changed character animator updatemode Normal to Animate Physics, it look somewhat better then before.
but not perfect.
this is working combat mode, not working on adventure mode.

Last edited:
this is happence on build also. just i take a empty scene with demo character and demo animation.
i used combat mode.

I've also have had this problem with 3rd person but with first person, it doesn't happen and funny thing is that the demo doesn't do this.

Can you profile it to see what the bottleneck is? I am not getting any jitter so it's hard to track down on my end.