Views - changing them.

MikeGro

I just used the First and Third person Controller for the first time today and it looks great… and I’m loving it… ton of options and flexibility. Well done Opsive!!!

Is there a way when the player turns around to go the other way -ie. walking away from you as the camera follows from behind like normal... in third person and then comes back to the camera... to turn the other way... where you can see their face as they run towards the camera… and then the player “catches up” to the camera… passes it and the 3rd person camera resumes behind it as normal? Not sure if I explained that clearly... but my characters will have a funny looking face and front of their body… and I would like the person to be able to see it from time to time... and not sure how I can have that happened other than when they turn around... which they can't really do in third person... at least not via the default setup. I don't want it to be too intrusive or a detriment during combat though... any ideas?

Also, Is there a way to change perspectives on the fly – ie. through code or when playing in editor… between the various View Types re: 1st player to Third player and back as the player sees fit or chooses to?

Glad you got it working!

Is there a way when the player turns around to go the other way -ie. walking away from you as the camera follows from behind like normal... in third person and then comes back to the camera... to turn the other way... where you can see their face as they run towards the camera… and then the player “catches up” to the camera… passes it and the 3rd person camera resumes behind it as normal? Not sure if I explained that clearly... but my characters will have a funny looking face and front of their body… and I would like the person to be able to see it from time to time... and not sure how I can have that happened other than when they turn around... which they can't really do in third person... at least not via the default setup. I don't want it to be too intrusive or a detriment during combat though... any ideas?
This sounds like it would be a modification of the adventure view type. In this case you'll need to create a new view type:

https://opsive.com/support/documentation/ultimate-character-controller/camera/view-types/

Also, Is there a way to change perspectives on the fly – ie. through code or when playing in editor… between the various View Types re: 1st player to Third player and back as the player sees fit or chooses to?
You can change perspective with CameraController.TogglePerspective.

2 Things on view that I noticed (and/or doing wrong):
Third Person Adventure and Third Person Combat seem to be the same… what’s the difference? Even when I go in and manually Select in the Camera the View Types.. when I change the settings during play or when I stop play… select them and run play again.

When I run the game in the editor… I get this warning regardless if I go in and select View Types – Third Person View Type to match the View Type active selection area right under it, “Warning: The Third Person Combat MovementType is active while the ViewType recommends using Third Person Adventure.
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController:InitializeCharacter(GameObject) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Camera/CameraController.cs:465)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController:Start() (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Camera/CameraController.cs:350)”

On another note… I have InControl asset… do you have an integration doc with that asset yet? I remember reading about you recommending that as a good input manager to use with these controllers.

And on even a completely different note… is there a way that you have an AI character morph into another model… ie. like a person into werewolf or like how Dr. Banner morphs into the Hulk… if can’t morph or “tween” in a way that looks good… is there a way to change the AI’s model that the controller shows… ie. just swap it out upon some event we setup (I can always put effects in front of the character to make the swap look smoother – ie. smoke or explosion or something).

Finally, can you head me in the right direction or good starting point where I can have a character selection situation... where say the player can select one of 3 characters... and the controller uses the character that the player selects. ie. it's an adventure game and he can be either a mage, knight or druid... and he selects mage... and now his controller controls a mage.

Third Person Adventure and Third Person Combat seem to be the same… what’s the difference? Even when I go in and manually Select in the Camera the View Types.. when I change the settings during play or when I stop play… select them and run play again.

When I run the game in the editor… I get this warning regardless if I go in and select View Types – Third Person View Type to match the View Type active selection area right under it, “Warning: The Third Person Combat MovementType is active while the ViewType recommends using Third Person Adventure.
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController:InitializeCharacter(GameObject) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Camera/CameraController.cs:465)
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController:Start() (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Camera/CameraController.cs:350)”
Make sure both the character and camera match with the adventure view/movement type. The docs do a pretty good job at describing what the difference between view types are.

On another note… I have InControl asset… do you have an integration doc with that asset yet? I remember reading about you recommending that as a good input manager to use with these controllers.
Rewired integration was just released last night and I'm working on the other input integrations now.

And on even a completely different note… is there a way that you have an AI character morph into another model… ie. like a person into werewolf or like how Dr. Banner morphs into the Hulk… if can’t morph or “tween” in a way that looks good… is there a way to change the AI’s model that the controller shows… ie. just swap it out upon some event we setup (I can always put effects in front of the character to make the swap look smoother – ie. smoke or explosion or something).
For this you'll probably want to have completely separate characters setup and then swap between them.

Finally, can you head me in the right direction or good starting point where I can have a character selection situation... where say the player can select one of 3 characters... and the controller uses the character that the player selects. ie. it's an adventure game and he can be either a mage, knight or druid... and he selects mage... and now his controller controls a mage.
The character controller doesn't need to know about this - you'll just want to activate the character that you want to use.use.

They do match the view/movement types... and I get that error as I mentioned above... and when I view it in the game... even when I change it in the inspector... they do the same movement.

Can you follow this post so I can reproduce the view/movement types not matching? I haven't seen that warning pop up when the view types match.

Unity 2018.2.7f1
Windows 10 machine

Character Controller Type: I have First Person and Third Person Controller in my project.
The player was setup originally in Third Person mode... and I think Combat.
I click on the Camera in the hierarchy.
I click on Third Person Adventure in View Type and choose Third Person Adventure.
I play the Game.

I get this warning (not error):
Warning: The Third Person Combat MovementType is active while the ViewType recommends using Third Person Adventure.
Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.Camera.CameraController:Start() (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Camera/CameraController.cs:350)

Now, when I stop the game.... go into Camera - View Types in the Camera Controller Script... and change it to Third Person Combat... no warning.

And like I mentioned before... the player movements in the game... look to me as identical - be it I choose in the View Type... Third Person Adventure or Third Person Combat... it looks like the game defaults on Combat... and even if you change it to Adventure in the View Types on the Camera object... it stays with whatever you chose when you set it up... which in my case... I think was Third Person Combat.

I read your docs on what Third Person Adventure and Combat are supposed to be... although I don't think the description written makes sense to me on what it's supposed to look like (ie. it's written in a technical and not practical way so not sure what I'm supposed to see on the screen).

https://opsive.com/support/document...s/included-view-types/third-person/adventure/
and
https://opsive.com/support/document...ypes/included-view-types/third-person/combat/

that's view types... is that also movement types in the context of what you're asking for? If not, where would I find that?