First person arms in UFPS hanging uselessly

DavidC

1. Working on a project for someone else in UFPS. I can't get either the demo arms or the arms made with FPS meshkit to animate. No parameters are being updated in the controller, so they continually sit in the idle state. What's supposed hook into that to update those parameters? I've compared what I have to the demo scene and I'm not noticing anything.

2. The other things is the arms appear above the characters head, so they kind of stick into view at the top of the screen. I know I can adjust the position springs of the arms when they're holding a weapon, but how do I change their regular position? I tried a few things that had no effect. I tried changing the origin point of the model (although, because my tool can't do the same for rigging, that's probably why nothing happened). I also tried changing this setting, which seems to have no effect on anything no matter how high I set it.

1630629617012.png

1. No animations at all are playing? Or just some animations aren't playing, e.g. when using items? If you enable "ability/item parameter changes" in the AnimatorMonitor component, do you see the expected parameters change? If so, then the issue lies somewhere with the animator controller (if you're using a custom one), animations, or the character's rig (e.g. if the character's avatar is different than the one assigned to the animator controller, then the animations may not be able to target the bone transforms).

2. By default in the demo, the first person arms don't render or animate when there's no item at all equipped. The "Body" item is used in the demo to represent the arms without a weapon - if that's what you're using here, then you'll need to adjust the position spring settings of the Body item.

1. No animations at all are playing? Or just some animations aren't playing, e.g. when using items? If you enable "ability/item parameter changes" in the AnimatorMonitor component, do you see the expected parameters change? If so, then the issue lies somewhere with the animator controller (if you're using a custom one), animations, or the character's rig (e.g. if the character's avatar is different than the one assigned to the animator controller, then the animations may not be able to target the bone transforms).

2. By default in the demo, the first person arms don't render or animate when there's no item at all equipped. The "Body" item is used in the demo to represent the arms without a weapon - if that's what you're using here, then you'll need to adjust the position spring settings of the Body item.

So, this helped me figure it out. I looked closer and realized that the child animator monitor component was missing. I added that, and things worked as expected. Thanks!

Glad you figured it out - for future reference, setting the animator for the first person arms is possible via. the UCC Character Manager (Tools -> Opsive -> Ultimate Character Controller -> Character Manager).