Recent content by caleidon

1. C

How to save and load behavior trees?

Hi! Now that Ultimate Character Controller v3 has been released, is it safe to assume work will be started on version 2 of BD fairly soon? I'm still really excited and hoping for the saving/loading functionality.
  2. C

Any news on this now that Unity has released quite a few updates on DOTS and its future is more certain?
  3. C

@Justin Out of curiosity, has any progress been started on made on this topic? Any bit of information helps! :)
  4. C

Is it possible to create a SharedGenericList?

Hi, I'm trying to create a SharedVariable which would hold a value of a generic list so that I can have type safety. Here's what I tried: [Serializable] public class SharedGenericList<T> : SharedVariable<List<T>> { public static implicit operator SharedGenericList<T>(List<T> value) {...
  5. C

Saving

As someone who has been dealing with this for quite some time, I would recommend that you try to make saving work yourself. When Justin implements the saving system (and the main issue is that this might take a while), like one other member here said, it is very unlikely that it will cover all...
  6. C

How to ensure there is ALWAYS a task running?

I am working on a custom saving system and I managed to find a way to get the currently running node with some dark voodoo magic. Task runningNode = Owner.GetActiveTasks().Find(task => ((GrimAction) task).GrimNodeID == RunningNodeID); I keep the RunningNodeID updated when some task starts in...
  7. C

I think that's quite obvious. I learn best by example which is why I asked you if you could share a concrete example of one of the simpler trees you're saving this way, but you just seemed to ignore it. If you don't want to share it or can't share it, I understand.
  8. C

Thanks for the extensive reply. Would you please be able to share one simpler External Behavior (a picture of the whole tree) and just explain a bit more how it all works? If I understand correctly, you let the tree know that it's supposed to be loading (by using a bool let's say), then you...
  9. C

Would it be enough to ONLY save the activeStack data structure and assign it to a tree when loading, or is there any other such variables that absolutely NEED to be saved? Of course, aside from any shared variables that need to be loaded for the tree to resume as it left off.
  10. C

Since you said you couldn't provide even a rough ETA for save/load system (which I'd love to hear), could you maybe in the near future make a small update to Behavior Designer where you could implement that functionality? There wouldn't be any saving, loading or serialization needed, just...
  11. C

I've tried doing what you've suggested but saving the entire tree for only one character (and it's a pretty simple tree) is 3MB when everything gets saved. I'd like to try a different approach where I don't save the entire tree, but load an existing one and just save all the required states and...
  12. C

That's exactly what I was looking for and had no idea that it existed! Thank you! So all I have to do when I load a tree is to add it to BehaviorManager.instance.BehaviorTrees (which is where all the trees are kept internally I assume) and then also connect that loaded tree to my Character by...
  13. C

That seems simple enough, but when I add the tree to the behavior tree list within BehaviorManager, how will the game know that this tree is attached to my Character1 and control its gameobject, as opposed to Character2's gameobject. That's the part I'm confused about. In other words, when I...
  14. C

I've already done all of that, but my question is how do I, concretely, assign a BehaviorManager.BehaviorTree to a gameobject? It feels like the type "BehaviorManager.BehaviorTree" (which is what I save and load) is so disconnected from all other parts of Behavior Designer and I have no idea...
  15. C

I'm going with the route of just serializing literally everything and I think this might function (with a lot of work). When loading my tree when testing, I just assign the BehaviorManager.instance.BehaviorTrees[0] = loadedTree and that works. However, I'd now like to attach this loaded tree to...