VR Add-On

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
I started the VR Add-On in September of 2017 which ended up being a year before the character controller was actually released. Since then I have been working on it off and on (mostly off) until recently when we released the PUN multiplayer add-on.

Since then things have been going better than I expected and we should be able to release a beta version soon. I plan on following a similar structure as what we did with the multiplayer add-on where we release the beta to the Opsive Store first and then as soon as everything is stable we'll release on the Asset Store. So, with that said, what is the VR Add-On?

The VR Add-On for the Opsive Character Controllers is a collection of view types, movement types, and abilities that allow your character to use a VR headset. Most of the features that have been added are designed to be used in a first person view but it does also include support for a third person perspective. Physics based item interactions (such as pulling a clip to reload or pulling back a bow to shoot) will not be supported in the first version of the add-on.

The VR Add-On will include the following abilities:
  • Arm Swing
  • Dash
  • Grab and Go (moves the character as you grab and object and move your hand)
  • Move In Place (moves the character as you walk/run in place)
  • Rotate with Head
  • Teleport
It will also include the following item abilities:
  • Flick Reload
  • Hold
  • Slot Equip
The existing Use and Drop abilities can already be used with a VR headset. I have tested this add-on with the Rift and the Vive. I also have a Grear VR that I will be able to test against and plan on getting a Quest. In general it doesn't take much in order to support a new headset and it's just a matter of getting the button mappings right.

Most of the features are complete, just need to do a lot more testing and polishing before we release. I'll be posting some more gifs and we get closer to release but to start things off here's one where I use the sword to destroy a crate.

source.gif

The VR add-on has been going well and we're tentatively hoping to release on the Opsive Store later next week. We are still polishing up the scene though so we'll see if we make that date.

Here's a gif that has the first person character dual wielding pistols. This gif is in the new demo scene that will walk you through the features included. This gif also shows Nolan's hands instead of the spheres that were in the last gif.

giphy.gif

On the Unity forum I was asked what movement abilities will be included so I thought that I would include them here as well:
  • Arm Swing: Moves the player based on arm motion like you are running
  • Dash: Similar to Teleport except doesn't move the character instantly
  • Free Movement: Think the thrust movement from Mission:ISS
  • Grab and Move: Grab onto an object and then swing yourself in a direction
  • Joystick
  • Move in Place: similar to Arm Swing, except only requires one tracker to bob
  • Teleport
It also doesn't look like we are going to be able to release to the Opsive Store this week but we should be able to early next week. There is more to this VR Add-On than we thought :)

Things are looking good for a release this week. Here's a look at the first pass of the documentation:

We just got done taking screenshots and have completed the beta! We don't want to release on a weekend so we'll release the beta on Monday:

Awesome work! Looking forward to this.

Is there support for just using a controller as normal and not use motion controllers for the hands? Basically look to aim type control scheme?

Thanks!

Is there support for just using a controller as normal and not use motion controllers for the hands? Basically look to aim type control scheme?
Yes, there is. When you update your character to work with VR you'll want to select None for the number of hand trackers. This is done within the VR Setup Manager:

Thanks for the reply. My game works with or without VR, what is the best setup to achieve this? Will I need separate characters and or scenes?

My game works with or without VR, what is the best setup to achieve this? Will I need separate characters and or scenes?
If you're working in first person then you'll need a separate character since there is a different setup for first person characters. Third person characters will not need to change.

The VR Add-On beta has been released! You can get it on this page:

After you have purchased the add-on send an email to support@opsive.com with your character controller invoice number and I'll send you version 2.1.6 of the controller.

Just bought the Add-On and imported the Package into the one with Third Person Controller on it.

Do I have to have the UPS in order to run this?

I am getting following errors

I thought VR Ready meant that I can use this Add-On for the TPS as well

Attachments

• vr22.JPG
    vr22.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 3
Just bought the Add-On and imported the Package into the one with Third Person Controller on it.

Do I have to have the UPS in order to run this?

I am getting following errors

I thought VR Ready meant that I can use this Add-On for the TPS as well

Sent an email with the invoice number as well

Thanks for all of the interest so far! I've sent a link to version 2.1.6 to everyone - let me know if you hit any issues!

When does this drop on the Asset Store? I have always purchased through the Asset Store as it just makes it more convenient, I guess that's why it is so popular.

If I have created my game using UCC can I easily replace the UCC with the VR Controller? Do my interactions etc still work just as before and more importantly do my weapons work just like UCC weapons? Does the UI work just like UCC?

Does the VR controller support SteamVR 2.0+ input with action sets?

When does this drop on the Asset Store? I have always purchased through the Asset Store as it just makes it more convenient, I guess that's why it is so popular.
No ETA yet - it'll depend on how the beta goes.

If I have created my game using UCC can I easily replace the UCC with the VR Controller? Do my interactions etc still work just as before and more importantly do my weapons work just like UCC weapons? Does the UI work just like UCC?
You can update the character to work with VR controls but you'll need a separate character specifically for VR since the abilities are different (for first person, third person is the same). The VR Add-On supports everything within the base controller except the following limitations:

The VR Add-On currently does not support the following:
  • Physical interactions. This includes:
    • Physically pulling back a bow
    • Removing a clip with your free hand
    • Opening a door by twisting a door handle
  • First person full body awareness
  • First/third person perspective switching
  • PUN Multiplayer Add-On

Does the VR controller support SteamVR 2.0+ input with action sets?
No - it uses Unity's native XR implementation.

I've had a play and all seems to work good but I can't find an option to allow the right stick X axis to rotate the player smoothly. I've found the rotate by 45 degree effect but I want to also give the player full smooth rotation options.

Great to hear!

As long as you don't have input disabled on the FirstPersonVR Movement Type it'll allow for rotation similar to the Combat Movement Type. For this to work you'll want to make sure the inputs are pointing to the correct joystick within the Character Locomotion Handler.