Agility Pack Released

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
Agility-300x300.png

We are excited to announce that the Agility Pack has been released on both the Opsive Store and the Asset Store! This version requires version 2.1.2 of the Ultimate Character Controller. You can see the full description and play the demo on this page:

Last edited:
Looks mostly good so far, however, unless something odd happened on my install, the vault prefab has a large number of duplicated components that interfere with the ability?

Hang now works great but installing the agility pack in 2018.3 (first and third) I came across the following issues on the demo scene:

- Vault sometimes get stuck. First times you try to vault works great but after some tries (is random) nothing happens when you press space and the character gets stuck (you can't do anything but restart as there are no possibles movements on the character)

- It happened to me twice that Ledge Strafe didn't work on some of the extremes and the character falls down. Again is random and it happened after some time testing.

Regards,

Hang now works great but installing the agility pack in 2018.3 (first and third) I came across the following issues on the demo scene:

- Vault sometimes get stuck. First times you try to vault works great but after some tries (is random) nothing happens when you press space and the character gets stuck (you can't do anything but restart as there are no possibles movements on the character)

- It happened to me twice that Ledge Strafe didn't work on some of the extremes and the character falls down. Again is random and it happened after some time testing.

Regards,
I had a similar issue with vault and found that the obstacle had many duplicated components. When I deleted them down to one of each component it seemed to be stable. Maybe this is your issue.

Haven't looked at the other ability yet.

Yes I saw the same Box Collider and Object Identifier more than 3 times on the same obstacle. Deleting them and testing again......

I'm not sure how so many extra components were added. There should only be one Box Collider, Object Identifier, and Object Forward Faces component.

@GorkaGames - can you record a video of the ledge strafe issue?

Do you plan to add more abilities to this pack? or there only just these 7 abilities. I think it would be good if you add more parkour and climbing abilities.

Slightly off topic perhaps.... the script that injects the agility blendtrees and transitions into the Animator is pretty neat. If those blendtrees already existed would they be overwritten, or would absent blendtrees be written and those present kept as they were? I am just wondering if this will function as a reset tool, or to add components of a pack that were deleted without destroying any custom work done...thanks.

Do you plan to add more abilities to this pack? or there only just these 7 abilities. I think it would be good if you add more parkour and climbing abilities.
At this point we don't have any plans to add new abilities to the pack but we may decide in the future that a certain ability fits this pack so we'll then add it. As of right now parkour and climbing are planned to be a separate pack, though climbing may fit in with Agility depending on what it takes to implement.

Slightly off topic perhaps.... the script that injects the agility blendtrees and transitions into the Animator is pretty neat. If those blendtrees already existed would they be overwritten, or would absent blendtrees be written and those present kept as they were? I am just wondering if this will function as a reset tool, or to add components of a pack that were deleted without destroying any custom work done...thanks.
They would be overwritten. When the script first runs it clears out any state that has a transition with the matching ability index.

If I want to use this package do I need to update to 2.1.2 or is 2.1.1 sufficient?
Version 2.1.2 is required.

I have a question about the roll ability. Is the roll ability only for falling or are you able to roll like the roll ability from TPC?

EDIT: Sorry, you can ignore this I failed to realize the roll keybind.

Great assets, and very essential addons. Thanks for the care to details and making it all so smooth, I know it takes a lot of effort to make it look so easy.

A few possible touches (or suggestions) could be the following (I have still not purchased the pack yet, just checked the demo now, so some of these could be modified in the inspector):

- I would love to have an "auto-vault" feature, which makes you vault as soon as you touch the obstacle. Most modern games let you do that instead of pressing another button. But I loved how this time it was already bound to the jump instead of action.

- For the hang ability, I would love to have a similar feature to the above: an auto climb up ability; which means you can you can press the jump key and have an option to directly climb up without pressing up again, at least for certain obstacles. I simply LOVED the "press F to hang" down ability. This was a huge wishlist for me in TPC and great to see it finally here.

- For the balance ability, there is a huge unused potential. The ability looks great, and does not require any skill to use. It gives the impression of the character struggling to stay in balance, but for the player, you are just pressing forward. It would be lovely to have a future feature that would require the player to struggle with keeping the character in balance by pressing left and right arrows. I think TPC was doing something close to this, and the UCC version seems to be more straight forward. Please check POP Sands of Time footage to see what I mean in action. You had to constantly pay attention to avoid falling:

Also, pressing left or right seems to instantly make you fall, and it is a bit rough to properly enter into the bar to walk into.

- One ability that I was hoping to see in this pack from previous conversations was the swim ability. Now as I understand it will be in another pack, which I am totally OK with. But I really was hoping it would not be a too far release. Do you have any plans for this? If it comes out, will it be in a complete "swimming pack", and will it also have diving (or flying) involved.

- Finally, in a previous conversation we talked about an ability to have the character put his hands on the wall after running into the wall. Is that something you are planning to implement?

I know that your plans change depending on other circumstances, but for those of us planning their projects mainly around UCC it does help to know as much as possible of the roadmap for UCC updates and packs. So please do share if a roadmap becomes more clear.

Thank you.

- I would love to have an "auto-vault" feature, which makes you vault as soon as you touch the obstacle. Most modern games let you do that instead of pressing another button. But I loved how this time it was already bound to the jump instead of action.

- For the hang ability, I would love to have a similar feature to the above: an auto climb up ability; which means you can you can press the jump key and have an option to directly climb up without pressing up again, at least for certain obstacles. I simply LOVED the "press F to hang" down ability. This was a huge wishlist for me in TPC and great to see it finally here.
If you change the ability start type to automatic then both of these should work :)

- For the balance ability, there is a huge unused potential. The ability looks great, and does not require any skill to use. It gives the impression of the character struggling to stay in balance, but for the player, you are just pressing forward. It would be lovely to have a future feature that would require the player to struggle with keeping the character in balance by pressing left and right arrows. I think TPC was doing something close to this, and the UCC version seems to be more straight forward. Please check POP Sands of Time footage to see what I mean in action. You had to constantly pay attention to avoid falling:
Yeah, balance does seem to be too 'easy'. Thanks - I'll take a look at that video.

- One ability that I was hoping to see in this pack from previous conversations was the swim ability. Now as I understand it will be in another pack, which I am totally OK with. But I really was hoping it would not be a too far release. Do you have any plans for this? If it comes out, will it be in a complete "swimming pack", and will it also have diving (or flying) involved.
I don't have an ETA but swimming will likely be the next addon that we release.

- Finally, in a previous conversation we talked about an ability to have the character put his hands on the wall after running into the wall. Is that something you are planning to implement?
If you can link to that post I can take a closer look at what I said but stopping all of the animations completely is planned for the next version: https://opsive.com/forum/index.php?...lter-animation-based-on-movement-inputs.1081/

I'd like to cast another vote for a "harder" balance ability. I just bought the Agility pack and was hoping to add a balance ability that requires player skill, as well. I think not being able to fall significantly limits the usefulness of this ability. If I remember correctly, the old TPC version of this ability allowed the player to fall.

I've just started digging into the other abilities in the pack, and so far, the rest of them look awesome! If you would consider making the balance ability harder, that would really be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

I definitely want to. I'm thinking that in version 1.1 of the Agility Pack we'll include a harder balance ability as well as a 90 degree hang turn.