[Request] UCC 3.0

devomage

Any chance of a 3.0 request thread? Or will it be a set of specific updates?

I'd like to see an easier way to apply impact decals on the ragdoll vs the capsule collider. The later looks awful in most cases.

No v3 suggestions yet, but it is a good idea to create one. I'd like to release v3 in the summer so am basing the featureset on that. Right now Santiago and I are doing restructuring changes so if this one doesn't make it into 3.0 it should be fairly easy to add to a later release. Of course, this would be nice to also get in 3.0 but it'll depend on how to larger changes go.

One thing with the updated controller. It would be great for the swimming ability to not require a collision to activate. For those of us that use dynamic water systems and manually feed in a swim height, the ability to simply enable and disable the swim ability by code would be amazing.

One thing with the updated controller. It would be great for the swimming ability to not require a collision to activate. For those of us that use dynamic water systems and manually feed in a swim height, the ability to simply enable and disable the swim ability by code would be amazing.
Here's a link to a thread on here about using the swimming pack with the uneven rivers from Ram River

Oh yeah, have that working. Just trying to avoid having to add a giant box collider around the entire area to enable the swimming ability.

Have you considered moving over to the new input system completely with this update?

I’d support that.

From a support side of things it is easier to have everything work out of the box without any modifications. So Unity supports the input system without needing to do package manager hacks we are likely to stay with the input manager out of the box.

@Justin Are you planning for v3.0 to be a non-breaking upgrade? Or will it be a major overhaul and only suitable for new projects?

i'd mainly like to see is something like GameplayAbilitySystem in Unreal, always strugling with stats/effects/buff/debuff sort of things.
(multiplayer support is better!)

Last edited:
Please add support for category and definition of UIS for the state of item abilities. Not just append item name. The advantage of this is that, for example, I want all guns to share a state, so I don't need to add state for each gun (such as m416, AK47, M16, m911, etc.)
Or a similar solution.

Please make a simpler interface for Unity noobs. Game Creator makes everything super simple, but is too limited. Anyway, my thoughts are a new menu added to the Opsive Manager. It will allow the user to select which abilities, items, weapons they want setup (limited to 5 or perhaps you preset the basics). When they click the Create button, Nolan, the abilities and everything are setup automatically so that they can start using it in their own game. You simple say "Now add a chest to your scene and assign it the Interact script and Animated Interact script..." Or perhaps you can have a drag-n-drop "chest" script that they can add to a chest and it simple works.

New to Unity? New to UCC? We now include a "Getting Started with Nolan" menu where we automatically add Nolan with a sword, hand gun, rifle, and the ability to open doors, windows, chest. Nolan can pickup items such as apples to consume, coins, etc. Although this is a very limited adventure\survival\RPG setup, it includes everything you need to start using UCC quicker and easier with no experience necessary. We also include a demo scene for this new quick setup feature where you can explore a small farm house to see how these presets work. It would be setup to use both first and third person if run from UCC.

Because Opsive has to make money for their work on this simplification (limited setup\demo) they could also charge a fee for this "Nolan character setup template" or whatever they choose to call it.

Reasoning: UCC and the add-ons were the first assets I purchased about 9 months ago. The tutorial videos are for those familiar with UCC and Unity. They go into detail that is not needed for a noob. There is no simple\quick "Do this to get running quickly" videos for noobs. The chat says to use the Demo scene.... Uh... have you seen how large the demo scene is? Noobs cannot figure it out. We need a simple demo scene with item pickup, interaction, sword and gun - NOTHING ELSE - keeping it as simple as possible. Take the videos that demo the moving platform and chest. We do not need the moving platform because it is too advanced, but most of us want the chest interaction and could really use a video on the chest. It takes WAY too much reading and re-watching the videos (and both the old and new videos are still available and being posted which is confusing as the old videos have too many gaps) to simply get UCC up and running for noobs.

Then if you want to use the UIS you have to go through the same learning curve, lots of re-reading, videos designed as if we knew what was going on already, etc...

You could really boost your sales if you made a "simple setup" and I imagine that your Adventure asset will have EVERYTHING setup\configured for the users to simple use right? PLEASE :)

I just learned how to use the Interact Ability without any issues and it took 9 months of trying to get it to work. I now have to figure out how to do item pickups. Nothing is easy, but there's no limits on what can be done. There needs to be a better way to use the Opsive assets. Perhaps a lite version that is preconfigured?

I just don't want the Adventure asset to be a disappointment. I think if it ties all of the Opsive assets together then it should be 100% automatic and ready to go with a click of one button. I know you probably want it to work with ANY adventure game, so perhaps you could have either a lite version or a menu option where everything simply works and could be used by noobs in their own game.
Thank You

Please make a simpler interface for Unity noobs. Game Creator makes everything super simple, but is too limited. Anyway, my thoughts are a new menu added to the Opsive Manager. It will allow the user to select which abilities, items, weapons they want setup (limited to 5 or perhaps you preset the basics). When they click the Create button, Nolan, the abilities and everything are setup automatically so that they can start using it in their own game. You simple say "Now add a chest to your scene and assign it the Interact script and Animated Interact script..." Or perhaps you can have a drag-n-drop "chest" script that they can add to a chest and it simple works.

New to Unity? New to UCC? We now include a "Getting Started with Nolan" menu where we automatically add Nolan with a sword, hand gun, rifle, and the ability to open doors, windows, chest. Nolan can pickup items such as apples to consume, coins, etc. Although this is a very limited adventure\survival\RPG setup, it includes everything you need to start using UCC quicker and easier with no experience necessary. We also include a demo scene for this new quick setup feature where you can explore a small farm house to see how these presets work. It would be setup to use both first and third person if run from UCC.

Because Opsive has to make money for their work on this simplification (limited setup\demo) they could also charge a fee for this "Nolan character setup template" or whatever they choose to call it.

Reasoning: UCC and the add-ons were the first assets I purchased about 9 months ago. The tutorial videos are for those familiar with UCC and Unity. They go into detail that is not needed for a noob. There is no simple\quick "Do this to get running quickly" videos for noobs. The chat says to use the Demo scene.... Uh... have you seen how large the demo scene is? Noobs cannot figure it out. We need a simple demo scene with item pickup, interaction, sword and gun - NOTHING ELSE - keeping it as simple as possible. Take the videos that demo the moving platform and chest. We do not need the moving platform because it is too advanced, but most of us want the chest interaction and could really use a video on the chest. It takes WAY too much reading and re-watching the videos (and both the old and new videos are still available and being posted which is confusing as the old videos have too many gaps) to simply get UCC up and running for noobs.

Then if you want to use the UIS you have to go through the same learning curve, lots of re-reading, videos designed as if we knew what was going on already, etc...

You could really boost your sales if you made a "simple setup" and I imagine that your Adventure asset will have EVERYTHING setup\configured for the users to simple use right? PLEASE :)

I just learned how to use the Interact Ability without any issues and it took 9 months of trying to get it to work. I now have to figure out how to do item pickups. Nothing is easy, but there's no limits on what can be done. There needs to be a better way to use the Opsive assets. Perhaps a lite version that is preconfigured?

I just don't want the Adventure asset to be a disappointment. I think if it ties all of the Opsive assets together then it should be 100% automatic and ready to go with a click of one button. I know you probably want it to work with ANY adventure game, so perhaps you could have either a lite version or a menu option where everything simply works and could be used by noobs in their own game.
Thank You

I think this is good feedback, and this has been discussed before.

In the meantime, I have two suggestions for you.

1. Make a copy of the demo scene (Ctrl+D) put into your own folder, and start making changes to it.

2. Or, open the demo scene, turn Nolan into a prefab (you drag Nolan from scene hiearchy into project folders) then drag that prefab into your own scene.

The main reason the instruction videos go into the detail they go into is because a lot of the work and struggle people run into is getting models OTHER than Nolan working properly. This has more to do with the variety of 3D modeling programs, and variety of how artists make their models.

In fact, the *easiest* way of having a custom model in UCC would probably be to export Nolan, have the artist keep the same rig, but change the mesh and texture, then reimport it. But I'm not even sure how possible that is (I know Unity well, I'm only familiar conceptually with blender...)

Hope I'm not too late but it would be nice to have an additional layer for Animations so that UCC has no hard dependency on Mechanim and we can use any Animation system we want. Currently, UCC is dependent on Unity's Mechanim and we have to rewrite components to make them work with something else, for example Animancer or Motion Matching for Unity.

Currently, there are 3 animation systems I found:
  1. Finite State Machine (Mechanim)
  2. Motion Matching (Motion Matching for Unity asset, and Unity's Kinematica)
  3. Code-based (Animancer Pro asset)
Probably something that we can pick which target animation system to send the data to. It's also a way to future-proof UCC since it looks like Unity is bringing Kinematica back on the roadmap (a Motion Matching system).

Last edited:
@Justin

Sorry to be so annoying but any chance you are able to give a rough idea of how far away v3 is? Also, will the PUN addon still be supported?

Also, will the adventure kit be released at the same time? Or will this follow?

Nathan

Last edited:
As soon as I have a better idea I'll be making a post with the details of what is involved. PUN will still be supported, though I'm not sure if it will be ready at the same time. Adventure Kit will follow.

I'll just chime and ask for any performance improvements or options to turn off performance intensive calculations for optional features. We are working on a VR FPS game with projectiles and right now we have ~8 characters and the characters are pretty performance-intensive.

As soon as I have a better idea I'll be making a post with the details of what is involved. PUN will still be supported, though I'm not sure if it will be ready at the same time. Adventure Kit will follow.
Netcode for GameObjects is the new kid in town. Might be worth a look and thought to support it out of the box.

Another alternative to Netcode for GameObjects is FishNet which has features that are more geared towards authoritative games that require client side prediction. (https://github.com/FirstGearGames/FishNet)

In terms of performance, I'm wondering if it's possible to do some of the optimizations listed here, specifically the vector operations and local position ones: