First Person Perspective Item Problem

ThatOtherGuy

So I've been struggling to add items to my character and after much trial and error and rewatching I managed to make the script system happy. Problem is that I get this message below, telling me it wont render the gun. Also when I enter play test my character flies off into oblivion and the camera flips out. Only happened after adding the new item. Any ideas?

Item Problem.jpg

The first person arms object ("Object") should have the FirstPersonBaseObject component. Did you set up your character using the Character Manager? If not, I think it's ok to just manually add that component to your first person arms object.

For the second issue, have you added a rigidbody/collider to your item's visible gameobject ("Visible Item")? If so, make sure that it's on a layer that doesn't collide with the character (i.e. make sure its layer is not included in the character's "Solid Object Layers" in its CharacterLayerManager).

Alright I followed your advise and this happened: the weapon did not appear and even though their is no collider on the gun the character still flies in the air.

I'm beginning to think that maybe my set up is wrong. My character is a single prefab object of multiple meshes, but it is not divided into first person body and first person arms like the nolan character is. Does this present a large problem with the work flow of the tool? As of now I have him running around the editor fine with full body awareness but will this be a problem with adding weapons?

Below is the in editor setup
Character_Setup.jpg

Edit: I've created animations for the weapon that use the exact same character skeleton and have been studying unity's animation masking system. Does this present a problem with the UFC work flow?

Last edited:
Does this present a large problem with the work flow of the tool? As of now I have him running around the editor fine with full body awareness but will this be a problem with adding weapons?
The arms use a generic animator so that will prevent the animations from working. This page has more info and a workaround if you don't have dedicated arms:

Edit: I've created animations for the weapon that use the exact same character skeleton and have been studying unity's animation masking system. Does this present a problem with the UFC work flow?
The character controller really just sets the animator parameters and then it's up to the animator controller to play the animation.