Gun jitter and no gun recoil issues

wohoyefe

Hi everyone. I have 2 questions please. I managed to get my first character set up following the video tutorials but unfortunately the hands and the gun are jittering. This does not happen in the demo scene, only when I create my own character (see the video). Not sure if anyone has a suggestion as to why this could happen.

My second question: In a separate scene, I followed the runtime pickup tutorial and I managed to do everything without the gun jittering. But when I fire, the gun does not recoil. I correctly set it to "shootable weapon" and the animation ID is "1" for assault rifle (instead of 22 like in the sword tutorial). The finger moves, not sure why the gun doesn't

Last edited:
For the jitter - when you create a custom character, are you using any custom animations / animator controller, or just a custom model? You should probably check that your character's rig matches the animations' rigs.

For the recoil issue, is the rifle definitely firing ammo? It looks like it's doing the dry-fire animation.

In order to troubleshoot, I then went ahead and tried again from scratch but every time I did so, the arms did not bend. I've tried it 3 times now and have been following along the video tutorials. I must be missing something but I don't know what it is. I recorded my entire set up, if you see anything I skip by accident or do wrong, please let me know. Thank you so much
Make sure you set the Animator ID to 1 for the assault rifle.

For the jitter - when you create a custom character, are you using any custom animations / animator controller, or just a custom model? You should probably check that your character's rig matches the animations' rigs.

For the recoil issue, is the rifle definitely firing ammo? It looks like it's doing the dry-fire animation.

Hi Andrew

thank you so much for your kind answer. I used the default Nolan character. I've run a few more tests and realised that the jitter only occurs when the character is somewhat far away from my scene's zero point. My starting point was 3000 units away from 0. I could move my starting point more into the center, but my scene terrain is 2048x2048 and when I place a weapon to be picked up half the map away from the zero coordinates, it's already jittering, so it's not a sustainable solution.

As for the recoil issue, I'm not 100% sure. There is no impact when I fire against something like there normally would be if I don't do a runtime version, but at the same time, it appears than when I click to fire, there actually is a recoil but it's extremely tiny and almost not visible.

I documented my build process in case you see anything I'm doing wrong

3000 units is outside Unity's precision amount. If you need a world that large you'll need to teleport the character to keep them near the origin.

3000 units is outside Unity's precision amount. If you need a world that large you'll need to teleport the character to keep them near the origin.

EDIT: OH god. I know why it's not recoiling. I had to add the bullets under "Item Definition Amounts" in the runtime pickup prefab in my scene.

Hi Justin ok I understand, thank you so much. I now found a workaround by placing the zero coordinates in the middle of my map.

Last edited: