Can't do anything after using Knife while walking/running

Sem

I've been following the guide from this post "Problem with melee weapon making feet looks 'sliding' when being used", it worked when we're using Sword/Katana or just bare hands, but as i was checking to see if it also worked on Knife, my character got stuck after one swoosh of the knife while walking. I can no longer change weapon, jump, use, or do anything other than walking after it got stuck.

I was observing the Animator and it seems that when i use the Knife while walking, it got stuck at the "Attack 1 Heavy From Idle"

YT Link showing the 'stuck at knife' along with Animator panel

Hello,
I tried knife in demo scene, it seems to work fine.

So, maybe issue is in your knife prefab?
1) Can you try to match your prefab with demo scene knife prefab
2) Can you check your knife animations have events properly set
3) If you are using same knife prefab from demo scene then can you re-import unitypackage and just let knife prefab update to see if that fixes the issue (Just in case u accidentally made any wrong change on the prefab)

I checked in v3.

Reactions: Sem
Oh Okay, Maybe still i would recommend to do all these checks
Also, In fresh project import v2 and try the demo scene and check if knife works there or not

Oh Okay, Maybe still i would recommend to do all these checks
Also, In fresh project import v2 and try the demo scene and check if knife works there or not
I have tried the knife on the demoscene and it seemed to work when walking nor standing still. I tried making the item and melee weapon settings on mine to be exactly like the one on the demoscene but it still stuck at one swosh and stuck there forever

I don't have much experience with v2 Sorry
But if you record everything like what didn't worked in demo scene and how you made your knife setup and implemented on your character then it will be very helpful to debug the issue and help you out.

Looks like its not set up correctly & possibly the animator audio state not set up. I usually get this if I accidentally miss a step during the set up. (The knife seems to be on the same layer as Katana Full body layer so I would expect the mask settings to be working the same way). My set up on the the Full Body layer has the Upperbody mask with blending as override and weight set to 1. If you can get the guide to work for Katana should be able to apply the same settings to knife:
I think an easy way to set up a knife would be:
Back up the project
Create another Katana say name Katana2 so you can distinguish for now.
The melee items all work the same way, set up the same way so you have 2 katanas, during set up drag in the knife as the model though.
on Katana2 change the animator component to match knife anim ID; 23. Copy over the settings including wait times & animator audio state settings just how you have your Katana (can fine tune later if needed once it works well) When it's working and finally set up re-name the Katana2 as Knife.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, thank you for all the replies, figured it out it was 'Allow during movement' checkbox of the animation audio states that needs to be set individually for all the states (i thought that checkbox will be applied globally to all states so i only did it once, and apparently it only did it on the first state on the list, probably that's why i can only do one swosh before getting stuck), the issue is resolved now. Thanks!