Multiplayer: improving hit detection

beepboop Posts: 5Member
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with improving the feel of my UFPS multiplayer game. One problem is that the hit detection is a bit off, even when the player is standing still. I understand that UFPS multiplayer hit detection uses capsule colliders. Im wondering:

1. How am I supposed to change the capsule collider's radius and height? The radius keeps getting reset when I change it.

2. Why does UFPS use this capsule system instead of using more accurate collision models (like similar collision to the ragdoll)? Does this have to do with server performance?

3. Can I add my own collision model instead of the capsule collider--one that's more accurate to my character's model? Whats the best way to do that?

4. Semi related, how do I increase my server's tickrate in UFPS?

5. If anyone has any other tips or tricks to improve the feel of the default netcode/hit detection that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for any help or clarification.

Nate

Answers

• WeendieGamesWeendieGames Posts: 58Member
    edited March 15
    I can answer some of your questions:

2 - I think so. This more related to the fact that is hard to keep all the ragdoll bones synced on the server-side. (Photon BOLT seems to handle rigidbody: youtube.com/watch?v=ChfllThl8eQ)
    EDIT: I found this,made with photon PUN: youtube.com/watch?v=JvxYITZgjRg)

4 - That's a Photon limitation. As far as i know all the Exit Games servers are locked in 20tk, which sucks a lot.

5 - Get rid of the Photon PUN.I know this is extreme, but is my plan once the game hit Steam (and of course if it sell well)