Jump Pad Example

BrandSpankingNewBrandSpankingNew Posts: 2,321Member, MPTester
I found myself unable to do any useful work today, so I decided to mess around with a jump pad scheme.

If any of you are interested in something like this, after you have watched my tacky video, then just leave a comment and I will clean up the two simple scripts that I made and post them here for you.

You'll have to fight your way through getting your prefabs set up, inventory set up, etc., but I'll be happy to paste in the scripts.

I suggest viewing this in full screen mode. It doesn't look real good regardless, but it is less terrible in full screen. :-)

https://youtu.be/p8HYpDJb_AA
Beautiful objects are wrought by study through effort, but ugly things are reaped automatically without toil.
Democritus

Comments

• JustinJustin Posts: 307Member, Administrator, Moderator
    When I try to view the video it says "This video is unavailable"

[ UFPS Docs ] . . . [ F.A.Q. ] . . . [ Tutorials ] . . . [ Knowledgebase ]
    [ Games Showcase ] . . . [ Get it now! ]

[home] [twitter] [youtube]
  • BrandSpankingNewBrandSpankingNew Posts: 2,321Member, MPTester
    @Justin , thanks for the heads-up! Some simpleton, the author, had accidentally marked the awful video as private, rather than simply unlisted. It is all set for viewing now. (Given the quality, it would probably have been considered a public service if you hadn't mentioned it to me! lol!)
    Beautiful objects are wrought by study through effort, but ugly things are reaped automatically without toil.
    Democritus
  • RoyalAllenRoyalAllen Posts: 219Member
    @BrandSpankingNew this is really cool.! I like the level too..gives a sense of a living world.
    http://brayboygames.weebly.com
    "It's all about being creative."
  • BrandSpankingNewBrandSpankingNew Posts: 2,321Member, MPTester
    @RoyalAllen ... Well, thank you for saying that. You'll recognize that the first scene in that video is really the "outdoors" part of Demo Scene 1 where the gigantic red exploding cubes are located.

I use that scene as my test area (when I am not doing bad things to a copy of Demo Scene 3) and I just keep expanding the walled-in area as real estate requirements demand. In fact, all of those switches on that big black teleport panel lead to additional test areas. I never really throw away a scene, even if it is just awful. I'm a hoarder and it is too easy to add another button and a label to my switch panel prefab.

The second scene in the video is just a copy of Demo Scene 2 with a little forest and some rocks and first aid kits thrown in. Oh, and rain. I find it soothing.

In these demo-video builds I turn off all of the helicopter's weapons and the sentry guns and bots (they are just brutal and it is very annoying to run for your life and try to do a demo at the same time), but you might notice that the helo's still shine their spotlights upon the player whenever they are within range.

I have to say, in my own defense, that the deployable jump pads actually work much better than that video shows. A keen eye will notice a couple of places where the player takes fall-damage, but those were "operator error" situations. Once the player has launched, anything that can be construed as him being "grounded" (such as briefly touching the railing around the top of my storage shed in that first scene) will immediately turn the damage back on, and if his velocity or height above his final landing spot is too great, then pain occurs. I think that's fair though. Clumsiness should be punished! lol!

I'm sure that everyone likes my pink grenades! ha!
    Democritus